Glacier Walks Argentina Style - El Chalten and El Calafate


Advertisement
Published: January 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I like to walk on ice. Buried down in my list of blogs there are... 3 other blogs with glacier walks, all in Alaska. So when I saw excursions onto the ice offered at El Chalten and El Calafate, I just had to go...

There are at least four glacier walk/treks available at El Chalten and El Calefate. I went on the mini ice trek in El Calafate and the Viedma glacier ice trek out of El Chalten. Both required boat rides to get to the glacier walk site. The El Chalten boat ride is a lot longer so the entire day is taken up by the boat ride and ice walk. Only about 2/3rds the day is taken up by the boat ride and ice walk at Perito Moreno glacier which leaves an hour to view the north portion of the glacier from land. So there is some difference in the overall objects and tour equipment. There are some age restrictions, apparently no-one over 65 is allowed on guided tours. And there are other age restrictions, check with the various tour operators first.

El Chalten

The guides rode out to the glacier on the boat with us. During the first few minutes on the boat we got our crampons fitted, then we carried them with us to the edge of the glacier were we put them on with the help of the guides. On the ice we walked around for about 1.5 hours, stopping frequently to take photos. This hike used real crampons and was a bit more strenuous, it felt like a real ice walk. Although the time on the ice was about the same for the two trips I think we covered more 'ground' on the Viedma glacier trip. Our group had at least three guides.

El Calafate

At the Perito Moreno glacier they take many hundreds out on the ice everyday. It is an efficient production line sort of operation with boats, crampon fitting and routes tightly coordinated. Yet our guide was interesting and personable. The actual route was the shorter of the two but covered a variety of ice terrain. I´ve found in Alaska that you don´t have to go far on a glacier to be in a completely different planet, and this trek did it. The crampons they use have very short spiked so tripping on your points is unlikely. Just about anyone who can walk for 1.5 hours on broken terrain could do this hike. The route was simpler than Viedma and we only had a primary and secondary guide.

Because it is a bit longer the El Chalten trek is a bit more challenging. It is also a little more personable because you get to interact with the guides on the boat as well as on land. We certainly had some folks on the El Chalten ice trek who were pressing the limits of their abilities and would have been better off on the El Calafate ice trek.

The basic ´feel´ of the Argentinian glacial terrain was very similar to the Alaska glaciers I have been on. Seems that glacier ice is glacier ice. The big surface difference is the amount of rock and grit. While Alaskan glaciers have a lot of rock on them the Argentinean glaciers I was on were strikingly almost rock free. The ice surface here seemed ´looser´, a bit more ´melted´ than the Alaskan glaciers but the appearance of the surface and the crevasse and serac terrain looked very similar.

Both these trips were a joy, I´d recommend either one, although the El Chalten hike is a bit more authentic, the Perito Moreno hike is very convenient.. No need to do both, I was just in the mood for ice...



Glacier Walks in Alaska:

The Brady Glacier Southeast
The Brady Glacier Southwest
The Brady Glacier - Spur Lake
Lituya Glacier Walk


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



27th January 2009

I am happy
Thank god, we have warm country(India). Alaska with full ice looks beautiful.
27th January 2009

Amazing adventure
I'm about to do the Patagonia trip in a month.. your blog is so informative.. I'll be emailing you shortly for more info! I want to do one of these glacier walks.. it looks absolutely amazing!!!!!! I don't know if I have your sense of outdoor stamina to do long trails, but I'm going to try! :)
28th January 2009

You can do it!
Grace, I´ve seen your blogs... you can do them, no problem. In fact you might look in to the ´Big Ice´trek out of El Calafate. It goes all day and is the real thing from what I heard.
26th February 2010

disappointment
we have recently returned from a holiday in Pategonia booked with Exodus. Our reasons for choosing the holiday included a very strong wish to experience walking on glaciers which had been picked as one of the highlights of the Pategonian experience in the exodus brochure along with trekking in the Fitzroy and Torres del Paine ranges. We were devastated to be told that we were not permitted to walk on the glaciers as there is an age limit, with those over 65yrs not permitted to go- even though we had, earlier in the same trip, undertaken some challenging treks! We feel very badly betrayed and let down!! Catherine Sander
18th December 2010
Foots ´n Views, Perito Moreno Glacier

WOW
These photos are amazing! What an experience you must have had, I've never seen such a big glacier. Well done.

Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 22; qc: 94; dbt: 0.2565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb