El Chaltén


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Chaltén
December 15th 2005
Published: January 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

El Chaltén


El Chaltén is a new town, inaugurated only 20 years ago, known as "the capital of trekking", due to the amount of tourists who come here to do just that. And the truth is that one cannot deny that the landscapes are indeed beautiful.

Connected to El Calafate by a gravel road, the 135 mile, five hour journey seems never-ending. The incessant shaking and rattling of the bus makes everything wobble like a strawberry jelly (note to self: MUST lose weight at any cost), it is impossible to rest, read, nor entertain yourself in any other way. We understand this is what awaits us in Bolivia for example (where only about 5%!o(MISSING)f the roads are paved) so we guess it was good practice for what's to come...

When we arrived at our destination we had the sensation that all our facial features had been dislodged and we must resemble a Picasso painting. After reassembling ourselves, we looked for a room for our last night, which we would badly need since the return bus was leaving well early, 6:30 in the morning to be precise (yikes). If El Calafate prices had seemed abusive, El Chaltén's are simply day-light robbery. We
Planning the route / planeando la rutaPlanning the route / planeando la rutaPlanning the route / planeando la ruta

First trekking in El Chaltén ********** Primera marcha en El Chaltén
paid for a room almost double what we had paid in Ushuaia, and 4 times more than in Iguazú. So another piece of advice if you go there: rent a tent if you do not own one and camp, which is what we did the rest of the time.

El Chaltén is the name that the tehuelche indians gave the most outstanding peak in the area. It means "mountain that smokes", because it was always surrounded by clouds and they thought it was a volcano. In fact it is gigantic granite peak, over 11,000 feet high, so vertical that the snow does not stick to its walls and hardly to the top, and apparently it is one of the most challenging peaks in the world for rock climbers.

It was later renamed Fitz Roy, who (if you remember the Ushuaia page) was the sailor who discovered the Beagle Channel in Tierra del Fuego. Can anybody explain to us what need they had to change the name to begin with, and then to name it after a foreigner who didn't even have a connection with the area?? What a load of nonsense.

Anyway, we digress... The purpose of our visit to El Chaltén was to do 3 long walks in one, but we soon realised we had bitten off more than we could chew, since, if we are already a bit too unfit to do long walks without extra weight, imagine doing it with 15-20 kilos on your back... we must have gone momentarily crazy. But since the plan was to camp, the tent, the sleeping bags, the roll mats, pillows, stove and cooking utensils, spare clothes, waterproof clothes, food for 3 days and 1 to 2 litres of water... we just couldn't go any lighter. Good exercise for the legs anyway.

So, after lunch, we took a taxi to take us to the beginning of the first trek, some 9 miles from the town. On the way we drove past a corner where the waters of two rivers come together and it truely was a peculiar sight... one river brings greenish white glacial waters, whereas the other one brings sand deposits and the water is a chocolatey brown. When they are joined they form two parallel currents with the perfectly defined colors in two separate sections. Unfortunately it was impossible to take photos from a moving
Good balance required / Se precisa buen equilibrioGood balance required / Se precisa buen equilibrioGood balance required / Se precisa buen equilibrio

Especially when carrying over 15kg on your back ********** Especialmente cuando llevas unos 15kg a la espalda
vehicle, especially one driving on a gravel road.

Now at our starting spot, we found a sign advertising the campsite destination that awaited us at the end of the first long walk. It promised showers, toilets, hot meals, horse riding... with the image of this oasis in the middle of a wild forest, we set off.

A stream accompanied us during a great part of the trek, during which we walked on a prairie, crossed a forest, climbed up a mountain and negotiated several dodgy looking bridges. When our bodies were crying out for mercy, we sighted the campsite in the distance. A sight for sore eyes indeed! Once we reached this "oasis", it turned out to be run by a one-eyebrowed character with his black beret coming down to his ears who looked like something out of a comic book... "the restaurant ", he says, pointing at the room we were in, four tables and a menu with prices that would make anyone think they were having supper at The Ritz... "there, the bathrooms and the shower, and a sink with drinking water".

"The bathrooms" turned out to be two manky rooms without electricity and needless
View from La Piedra del Fraile 1 / Vista desde La Piedra del Fraile 1View from La Piedra del Fraile 1 / Vista desde La Piedra del Fraile 1View from La Piedra del Fraile 1 / Vista desde La Piedra del Fraile 1

Piedra del Fraile (Friar´s Rock) was our first campsite ********** La Piedra del Fraile fue nuestro primer campamento
to say without a piece of toilet paper in sight. Inside, we found what are commonly called "french toilets" or "squatters". If you're not familiar with these, here's how they work: 1) locate the hole on the floor. That's the easy part. 2) Place your feet on the small platforms either side of the hole and start stripping off. 3) Align your hole with the one on the ground, squat, and take aim, whilst praying your leg muscles will be strong enough to support your weight whilst you go about your business - there is nothing to hold on to and it does require some concentration and a good sense of balance not to fall backwards (the ultimate mistake!).

We didn't like the idea of having to use this "speciality" toilet, particularly after sunset, hoping we wouldn't miss - and in the dark you couldn't tell if anyone else had missed before you... A handwritten sign read "please maintain the cleanliness". 'But, what cleanliness is he talking about??', we asked ourselves. Needless to say we drank as little as possible that night to avoid having to "go" more than was absolutely necessary, and didn't dare go near the shower
View from La Piedra del Fraile 2 / Vista desde La Piedra del Fraile 2View from La Piedra del Fraile 2 / Vista desde La Piedra del Fraile 2View from La Piedra del Fraile 2 / Vista desde La Piedra del Fraile 2

Overlooking Rio Electrico ("Electric River") ********** Mirando hacia el Rio Electrico
either. We'd rather stink than catch typhoid from something that had more things growing on it than a petri dish.

To make matters worse, the mini-field that was meant to be the campsite was covered in tree roots and with more ups and downs than a rollercoaster, and it was also crowded with two organized groups that had arrived before us. A nice group of Dutch guys who were back-packing like we were, only with rented equipment. Two of them kindly helped us get our tent up, as Mother Nature decided that would be just the perfect time to start chucking it down (what a sense of humour Mother Nature has). The other larger group was a bunch of French tourists, who had their tents and all other heavy gear carried all the way there by a herd of horses. Surely that must take something away from the sense of satisfaction you get when you carry it all yourself? Then again, it probably takes away the back pain and sore muscles too...

Despite these minor inconveniences, the views were as magnificent as we had been told, so not everything was lost...

The following day we started our walk towards the second campsite. At which we would never arrive, because the path, shown on our map as "low visibility", became "no visibility" and vanished as soon as we left the forest. We tried to find it again several times, but to no avail. Trying to draw an imaginary straight line, we decided to carry on "straight ahead". In the hours that followed, we had to A) climb up a 45% slope covered in massive rocks (see photo) that we think may have been dragged there by the action of an old glacier. B) cross part of an almost unpassable forest for which a machete would have come in well handy; and C) walk in single file (and with due care not to lose our balance) by the edge of an elevation that had, to one side, a sharp fall back towards the forest and, to the other side, another sharp fall towards a glacial water lagoon. (Anyone been to Striding Edge? That's child's play).

We managed to climb down towards a clearing in the forest when it began to get dark, after admitting that we were absolutely lost and resigning ourselves to spending the night there. We must say the site was a real beauty spot; although we were on the other side of the lagoon, we could look straight at Fitz Roy against a cloudless sky, rising majestically in front of us. And at the foot of the peak, the glacier of the same name, roaring like a lion when shedding off some of its load. The only slight problem was that we were a little bit low on drinking water, but Mark kindly offered to get some more. One hour and one very stupidly difficult descent + ascent later (it was deceptively far, see photo), we had the water we needed for the evening's soup, with Mark only suffering a slight knee strain as payment.

And once the stars came out, we could admire the Southern sky in all its glory, complete with all its unfamiliar constellations. The full moon, that did not rise any higher than the tips of the trees in the forest, illuminated the peak all night. So, it was perfect evening, apart from the occasional look of alarm on Maria's face every time she heard a noise coming from the forest. It was probably a hare, or perhaps a deer, but knowing that you can find pumas not very far from these parts, it's dead easy to let your imagination run away with you... Maria decided to stay up all night.

Although this was deliberate, because we were still watching the stars at 1am, and she wanted to be up at dawn (between 4:30 and 5:00). We had been told that one of the unmissable views when camping at the foot of Fitz Roy is to admire it at daybreak, because the rising sun dyes it red (more like orange at this time of year, but still). So, with the first light of dawn you fix your eyes on the peak, until little by little it begins to change colour, and it is definitively worth the early wake-up call.

During the course of the long walk the previous day, the "callus" on Maria's foot had started to trouble her again, and the knee Mark had barely sprained the previous night had, by the morning, become very difficult to walk on. So we decided to try and find our way back instead of continuing to the campsite we should have reached the previous night.

We had to negotiate
The path was here a minute ago / El camino estaba aquí hace un minutoThe path was here a minute ago / El camino estaba aquí hace un minutoThe path was here a minute ago / El camino estaba aquí hace un minuto

Come on Mark, admit it - we're lost aren't we? ********** Venga Mark, admítelo, nos hemos perdido ¿verdad?
massive boulders again and cross almost inaccessible woods before finding the path. Setting off back towards our point of origin at 6am, it took us several hours (early afternoon) to reach the welcoming sight of civilisation, the road. Luckily a friendly passing driver took pity on us and gave us a lift into town, otherwise we would have had to walk an extra 1.5 miles to the nearest out of town hotel to call a taxi to take us there (don't forget we were 9 miles away...)

So, all in all, a small odyssey, more distressing still because the huge horse flies in that area harassed us and persecuted us relentessly, to the point of making us almost hysterical. We thought it might have felt worse than it was because of the fatigue, but we soon had other people telling us stories of how they were also driven insane by this hidious insect. At least we managed to develop an almost infalible technique to deliver them a fatal karate-like blow and escaped without being bitten, but others have paid the consequences of not being so skilled in the art of insect annihilation. If you've ever been bitten by one (Maria has), you'll understand.

And so, after a couple of relaxing nights in two different hostels, we left (somewhat battered, but with very good memories and feeling very proud of our untrained bodies' endurance) towards our next destination: the Towers del Paine National Park in Chile, for another 3 days of torture... we mean... of unforgettable treks in the Patagonian countryside...


*******************************************

El Chaltén, pueblo minúsculo inaugurado hace tan sólo 20 años, y al que los argentinos denominan "la capital del trekking", por la cantidad de turistas que vienen a hacer precisamente eso. Y la verdad es que no le se puede discutir que los paisajes son una maravilla.

Conectado a El Calafate por una carretera de ripio, los 220 kms se hacen interminables. 5 horas de traqueteo incesante, aparte de que se te menea todo como si fueras un flan de huevo (nota mental: tengo que perder peso como sea), es imposible pegar ojo, leer ni entretenerse de ninguna otra manera. Tenemos entendido que esto es lo que nos aguarda en Bolivia, por ejemplo (donde tan solo el 5%!d(MISSING)e las carreteras están asfaltadas), así que pensamos que era buena práctica para lo que
Hard work to get water / Bastante complicado bajar a por aguaHard work to get water / Bastante complicado bajar a por aguaHard work to get water / Bastante complicado bajar a por agua

See if you can locate Mark in the picture ********** A ver si podéis localizar a Mark en la foto
está por venir...

Cuando llegamos a nuestro destino lo hicimos con la sensación de que se nos habían descolocado todas las facciones y parecíamos un retrato de Picasso. Después de recomponernos, buscamos alojamiento para la última noche que íbamos a pasar allí, pues el autocar de regreso salía bien tempranito, a las 6.30 de la mañana (ayayay), y siendo temporada alta las habitaciones se llenan rápido. Si El Calafate nos pareció un abuso, El Chaltén es un robo a mano armada. Pagamos por una habitación casi el doble que en Ushuaia, y 4 veces más que en Iguazú. Así que otro consejo si os pasáis por allí: alquilad una tienda si no tenéis una propia y acampad, que es lo que hicimos nosotros el resto del tiempo.

El Chaltén es el nombre que los indios tehuelches dieron al pico más destacado de la zona. Significa "montaña que echa humo", porque siempre estaba rodeada de nubes y pensaban que era un volcán. En realidad es un pico de granito gigantesco, de 3405 metros de altitud, tan vertical que la nieve no cuaja en sus paredes y apenas en su cima, y al parecer es uno de los picos de mayor dificultad para la escalada en roca del mundo. Más tarde se le cambió el nombre a Fitz Roy, que (si os acordáis de la página de Ushuaia) fue el marinero que descubrió el Canal Beagle en la Tierra del Fuego. Vosotros me explicaréis qué necesidad tenían de cambiarle el nombre para empezar, encima dándole el nombre de un extranjero que ni siquiera tenía conexión con la zona. Qué rabia me da que anden cambiándole el nombre a los sitios sin más.

Pero bueno, que me voy por las ramas. El propósito de la visita a El Chaltén era hacernos 3 caminatas en una, pero luego nos dimos cuenta de que nos habíamos pasado de optimistas, si ya estamos en baja forma para hacernos caminatas sin peso, imaginaos con 12-15 kilos a la espalda... debimos habernos vuelvo momentáneamente locos. Pero como la idea era acampar, entre la tienda, los sacos, las colchonetas, las almohadas, la cocinilla y utensilios, más ropa y comida para 3 días... no conseguimos ir más ligeros. ¡Buen ejercicio para las piernas!

Después de comer, tomamos un taxi para que nos llevase hasta el comienzo del primer paseo, a 15 kms del pueblo. De camino pasamos por
"Fitz Camp" / "Campamento Fitz""Fitz Camp" / "Campamento Fitz""Fitz Camp" / "Campamento Fitz"

Cooking dinner ********** Preparando la cena
un rincón donde las aguas de dos ríos se entremezclan y es una vista verdaderamente curiosa... un río trae aguas blanquecinas de deshielo, mientras que el otro trae depósitos de arena y el agua es achocolatada. Cuando se juntan se forman dos corrientes paralelas con los colores perfectamente definidos en dos secciones. Una "pocholada". Por desgracia imposible sacar fotos desde un vehículo en movimiento y por una carretera de ripio a no ser que tengas un pulso de hierro...

Un cartel anunciando el camping destino de esta primera caminata prometía duchas, aseos, comida caliente, cabalgatas... con la imagen de este oasis en mitad de un bosque medio salvaje, iniciamos la larga marcha. Un arroyo nos acompañó durante gran parte del paseo, durante el cual paseamos por una pradera, atravesamos un bosque, trepamos por la ladera de una montaña y negociamos varios puentes rústicos. Cuando ya el cuerpo nos pedía clemencia, avistamos el camping a lo lejos. ¡Qué alivio!

Una vez alcanzado el "oasis", resultó estar en manos de un carácter unicejo de boina negra calada hasta las orejas, digno de cualquier cómic de Mortadelo... "aquí, el restaurante", nos dice, un cuarto con cuatro mesas y un menú con unos precios que cualquiera pensaría que está cenando en el Ritz... "allá, los baños y la ducha, y una pileta con agua potable". "Los baños" resultaron ser dos cuartuchos sin electricidad ni papel higiénico, y su contenido lo que vulgarmente se conoce como "retretes franceses". Por si no estáis familiarizados con estos, así es como funcionan... 1) Localiza el agujero en el suelo. Esta es la parte fácil. 2) Coloca los pies en las plataformas que se encuentran a ambos lados del agujero 3) Alinea tu agujero con el del suelo, ponte en cuclillas y toma puntería, mientras rezas para que los músculos de las piernas te aguanten ya que no hay nada a lo que agarrarse y aparte de concentración se requiere buen equilibrio para no caerte hacia atrás (horror de los horrores).

Un cartel hecho a mano decía "por favor, mantener la limpieza". Pero, ¿de qué limpieza habla? nos preguntábamos. Ni que decir tiene que bebimos lo menos posible para evitar "ir" más de lo absolutamente necesario, y a la ducha ni nos atrevimos a asomarnos. Preferimos oler que pillar un tifus.

Para colmo el mini-campo donde se podía poner la tienda, lleno de raíces de
Mountain with no name / Montaña sin nombreMountain with no name / Montaña sin nombreMountain with no name / Montaña sin nombre

At least that we know of ********** Al menos que nosotros sepamos
árboles y con más desniveles que una montaña rusa, estaba colmado debido a dos grupos organizados que habían llegado antes que nosotros. Haciendo trampa, pues al más grande, un grupo de franceses, les había llevado las tiendas y demás peso una manada de caballos. ¡Así cualquiera!

A pesar de todo, las vistas eran tan magníficas como nos habían asegurado, así que no todo estaba perdido... los sudores habían merecido bien la pena.

Al día siguiente emprendimos camino hacia el segundo campamento. Al que nunca llegaríamos, pues el camino mostrado en nuestro mapa como "poca visibilidad" se convirtió en "ninguna visibilidad" y se desvaneció en cuanto salimos del bosque. Intentamos encontrarlo varias veces, pero se resistió. Intentando dibujar una línea recta imaginaria, decidimos "tirar de frente". En las horas siguientes, tuvimos que A) trepar por una ladera de pedruscos que creemos debieron ser arrastrados hasta allí por la acción de un antiguo glaciar. 45% de inclinación y temiendo que uno se desprendiera y nos llevase al fondo junto con los demás. De locos. B) atravesar parte de un bosque para el que casi nos hubiese hecho falta un machete y C) caminar en fila india (y con mucho cuidado de no perder el equilibrio) por el filo de una elevación que tenía, a un lado, una caída vertiginosa hacia el bosque y, al otro lado, otra caída vertiginosa hacia una laguna de aguas de deshielo. Logramos bajar hacia un claro del bosque cuando empezaba a atardecer, después de admitir que estábamos perdidos del todo y resignarnos a tener que plantar la tienda allí mismo antes de que se nos echara la noche encima.

El sitio era una preciosidad, pues aún estando al otro lado de la laguna, podíamos observar, levantándose de forma majestuosa frente a nosotros, al Fitz Roy contra un cielo limpio de nubes. Y al pie del pico, el glaciar que lleva su nombre, rugiendo como un león al desprenderse de parte de su carga. El único inconveniente es que nos habíamos quedado sin agua, pero Mark se ofreció amablemente a conseguir más. Una hora y una bajada y subida de espanto más tarde (la distancia engañaba, ver foto), ya teníamos el agua para la sopa de la cena, no habiendo sufrido Mark más que un leve porrón en la rodilla como pago.

Y una vez salieron las estrellas, pudimos admirar el firmamento sur en todo su esplendor. La luna llena, que no acabó de levantarse por encima de las copas de los árboles, iluminó de lejos el pico durante toda la noche.

Total, una velada ideal y perfecta si no fuera porque cada vez que oía un ruido proveniente del bosque me entraban cagarrinas. Debió ser alguna liebre, o quizás un venado, pero sabiendo que no muy lejos de estos parajes hay pumas, la imaginación te juega cada mala pasada... no pegué ojo en toda la noche. Aunque esto fue deliberado, pues aún estaba observando las estrellas a la 1 y pico, y me quería levantar al amanecer, entre las 4.30 y 5.00, ya que nos habían dicho que una de las vistas "imperdibles" cuando acampa uno al pie del Fitz Roy, es admirarlo de madrugada, cuando el sol saliente lo tiñe de rojo (en esta época del año algo más anaranjado). Y así, con las primeras luces del alba uno empieza a fijar su vista en él, hasta que poco a poco empieza a cambiar de color, y definitivamente merece la pena el madrugón. O el quedarse despierto como yo.

En el transcurso de la caminata el día anterior, mi "callo" me había estado molestando bastante y apenas podía andar en condiciones, y Mark se quejaba más de la rodilla, así que por aquello de la sensatez de la que debemos hacer uso de vez en cuando, decidimos emprender el camino de vuelta en vez de continuar al campamento que debíamos haber alcanzado la noche anterior. Tuvimos que volver a negociar pedruscos y bosque casi inaccesible antes de encontrar el camino, y aún tardamos varias horas en alcanzar el punto de origen. Por suerte un simpático conductor se apiadó de nosotros y nos acercó hasta el pueblo, si no, nos habría costado caminar otros 2.5 kms hasta llegar a una estancia para llamar a un taxi que nos viniese a recoger (no os olvidéis que estábamos a 15 kms....)

Total, una pequeña odisea, más angustiosa aún por los plastas de los tábanos que nos acosaron y persiguieron sin tregua, hasta el punto de volvernos casi histéricos. Pensábamos que exagerábamos a causa del cansancio, pero luego hemos oído historias de boca de otros que también desesperaron por culpa de este odioso insecto. Al menos nosotros logramos desarrollar una técnica casi infalible para sacudirles un golpe de karate en la nuca y nos escapamos sin ser masticados, pero otros han pagado las consecuencias de no ser tan hábiles en el arte de la aniquilación de insectos. Si a alguno os ha picado un tábano alguna vez (a mí me picaron un montón en Cuenca y aún estoy traumatizada 25 años después), nos entenderéis.

Y con esto, después de un par de noches de relax en hostales, emprendimos la marcha, con nuestros cuerpos algo maltrechos, pero con muy buenos recuerdos y muy orgullosos del aguante que le echamos, hacia nuestro próximo destino: el Parque Nacional de las Torres del Paine en Chile, para otros 3 días de paliza... digooooo... de paseos inolvidables por la naturaleza patagónica...

Advertisement



19th January 2006

Hola.
gracias María como siempre por tus comentarios de viaje. Siento no saludaros con más frecuencia, pero ya sabes que soy un vago para estas cosas. Flipo con vuestras fotos, aunque tengo que reconocer que hay veces en que dudo si entrar en la página por la terrible envidia que siento cuando las veo. Seguid disfrutando.
19th January 2006

Oooo Patagonia! I so want to go there... but I don't need to now thanks to you guys... great pics! Actually it's had the converse effect, it's fired up the desire even more. Beautiful scenery... reminds me a little of the South Downs ;-) Pete
20th January 2006

Continued from Romantic
Whoops pressed enter by mistake - was also going to say how gorgeous Fitz Roy mountain at dawn is. I would like a really good quality tif. file so that I can get a print to frame. Any ideas. Keep up the commentaries guys - they are so vivid I feel like I'm there with you sometimes.
20th January 2006

Why am I not surprised!
Hi Guy's, love reading of your little adventures - tho I'm sure if anyone saw me giggling away in front of the computer they'd wonder what the hell I was up too!!!
23rd January 2006

No Worries Guys
Hi there. Just caught up with my blog and saw your comment. Shame to hear that you had no luck with the weather down there. We were incredibly lucky with sun for the days of the trek and clouds and rain as we drive back to town! You are welcome to link through to the photos if you would like. Enjoy the rest of your travels guys. Graham.
21st February 2006

¡¡¡Esto si es una aventura !!!
Llevo intentando contactar con vosotros desde el principio y no lo consigo. Nos parece fantástico vuestro gran viaje, se me ocurren mil adjetivos para definiros (al viaje y a vosotros).Mee conformaré con decir que me siento verdaderamente orgullosa de formar parte de vuestra familia. Muchos besos, buena suerte y seguid participandonos todas esas maravillosas experiencias. ¡¡¡que este os llegue, por favor!!!

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb