El Calafate


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
March 14th 2013
Published: March 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Arrived in El Calafate in the early afternoon after an enjoyable flight with Lade Air. Seeing as the tickets were so cheap i was expecting that we would be sitting amongst some chickens and a crate of fruit. But we were served a nice lunch and drinks, including beer, which i suprisingly turned down as i was still getting over a cold. Additionally, we had views across the Andes the whole way down. For two hours it was non stop snow capped mountains and lakes as the weather was still spectacular.

Arrived in El Calafate to find it much warmer then Bariloche (at least while the sun was up), and started the hunt for a hostel. With backpacks on we tramped around the streets of the town until we had found one that we were happy with, named originally El Calafate hostel. We knew where Mike and Emi were staying, luckily around the corner, and went to visit them. We went and had beers and and lapped up the sun, before venturing of to Laguna Nimez, a short 30min walk from town, which is a safe haven for migratory birds, including Flamnigo's.

Got to the Laguna as the sun was setting, which was very pretty, but made it hard to get good photo's of the birds as they were some distance away and the light getting poor.

As the sun set, the temperature dropped very quickly, easily 10 degrees in half an hour and we quickly marched back to town to find somewhere to have a feed. Funnily enough, it was at our hostel, which specialised in Disco, a form of cooking meat and vege's in beer/wine in a big cast iron pot with lid that is cooked in the fire. Was sold to us as grandmothers cooking by the head chef, so we jumped for it. Food was great, very hearty especially when washed down with some Malbec.

Earlyish to bed, as we had to get up at 6am to organise a tour to the Perito Moreno Glacier


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb