Down south - El Calafate


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
February 11th 2010
Published: February 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We almost didnt make it as we had a nail biting session flying from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate in a 10 seater Lade plane which struggled against the strong patagonian winds. The pilot admitted that we only had enough fuel left to attempt a landing once and if it was too windy we´d have no other option but to turn back. All six of us passsengers were so relieved we made it safe and sound! Now we know why Argentians say "Lade flight, hold on tight!".

When we arrived it was a beautiful sunny day so we were lulled into a false sense of security that the weather would be nice for our trip to the Perito Moreno Glacier the following day. How wrong we were! It was pouring day with rain the whole day and with the strong icy wind it felt like it was -12 degrees but the glacier was still breath taking with its variety of colours; a marble white with streaks of muddy grey and light/dark blues. We met up with two spaniards who were staying in our hostel and we were all lucky enough to witness a chunck of ice falling off the enourmous glacier into the river - the loud crack followed by a shattering thud deserved an applause!

We started to prepare for our trekking experience due in Bariloche by visiting a wild life / bird reserve where we saw horses, flamingos, ducks, hawks, black faced ibis... Greg felt like Bill Oddy! The town was a nice place but sods law we had to leave the day before a three day festival with free lamb for all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb