Perito Moreno Glacier, El Calafate


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
March 28th 2008
Published: April 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

El Calafate. Some people go straight here & miss out on El Chlaten but there isn´t as much to do here unless you just want to hang around to recouperate for a while. El Calafate is about 4 hours south of El Chalten but it´s a proper big town with loads of the normal tourist shops......which is kind of surprizing when you look at the crappy road that takes you there.

But the big drawcard here is the Perito Moreno Glacier. This is the "Mother" of all glaciers. Well at least it´s the biggest one I´ve ever seen. It makes the Fox Glacier in New Zealand look like a melting ice-cube left out of the freezer. It´s humongous. About a 60m high wall that stretches around the mountains for kilometers....I think! We took an afternoon trip to Perito Moreno to get sunset on the white mound, but once the sun goes down, it´s time to layer-up or else suffer the cold. Whilst there, massive chunnks of ice break away from the glacier; probably assisted by the heat of the evening sun....the process is called calfing....so the water all around was littered with floats if ice. It sounds like a building being demolished as the ice collapses into the water. The locals take proper advantage of this gem by charging way above the norm for a relatively short bus trip to the glacier. Nonetheless it´s worth it. Snap snap snap......I´ve it well documented from all angles.

So it was only a short stop here to see the glacier & then on again we moved. 2 nights but you probably can´t count the second night cause buses always seem to leave at an unearthly hour. Thankfully the buses here are built for comfort so it´s nearly as good as a bed😊zzzzzzz


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

PeritoPerito
Perito

Frost- bite not far off


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb