South America Day 20 - El Calafate


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
January 28th 2019
Published: January 28th 2019
Edit Blog Post

This morning we fly 350 miles north to El Calafate, a town on the edge of the Patagonian ice field.

We arrive at the airport in plenty of time, which is good because it is now that we learn that Aerolineas Argentinas has a 15 kg luggage limit – not 23 kg as indicated on our booking form. After checking in, we have to wait in a long queue to pay our excess baggage fees. But first, the old man has an argument with the check in clerk, followed by an argument with the excess baggage clerk, rounded off with an argument with the supervisor.

We board our flight, I’m hoping it’s calmer then our arrival when I genuinely thought I was going to star in the sequel to Alive!

The next 3 weeks of our trip are fly-drive. We’re looking forward to the freedom of our own transport. We land (which startles an armadillo who has wandered onto the runway), collect our car and head for our hotel. Our room overlooks Lago Argentino, and we can see flamingos feeding on the lake.

We drive into town for some lunch and a closer look at the lake and its prolific bird life. Then retire to our hotel, sit by the window and admire the beautiful view.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb