La Difunta


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » San Juan » Difunta Correa
October 31st 2006
Published: October 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

FotosFotosFotos

One of the capillas is completely covered with pictures, used as proof and thankfulness for what Difunta Correa has done for her followers.
In the 1840s a civil war raged in Argentina, the porteños against the interior of the country. One woman named Deolina Correa set out with her infant baby and supplies to follow her sick husband, serving as a soldier in the war. After her food and water ran dry, she soon collapsed in the desert, dead. When were body was found, those there were astonished to find that her infant baby was still alive, suckling on the dead woman's breast. Soon news spread of the apparent miracle, and people began to become devotees to the dead soul (not technically a saint) who had come to be known as Difunta Correa (literally, "defunct Correa").

The site where she supposedly died began as a simple cross on a hilltop about 100 years after her death, but has since turned into a massive shrine, prompting the creation of the small town of Vallecito in the middle of the dry Argentine desert lands to support the influx of devotees to the site.

People make petitions to Difunta, and when they are realized, the person will often travel out to the shrine at Vallecito to leave a picture, a trophy, a license plate, a
SubidaSubidaSubida

The stairway to the top of the hill where the original cross to Difunta was place is now covered with car license plates and the hill itself looks like a scene out of It's a Small World, with red and yellow wooden houses meant to represent the real thing.
plaque, a wedding dress, a miniature home, anything to symbolize what she has done for them. Seventeen different chapels are filled with all types of items, each one with a different theme, la Capilla de Novias, la Capilla de Deportes, la Capilla de Viviendas, etc.

The shrine at Vallecito is not the only place that use to give thanks to Difunta. All along highways in Argentina (especially the closer you get to the shrine) are miniature homages to her. They can range in size from tiny to decently large and often have various objects strewn all over the ground in front, car parts, rocks, and (most often) plastic bottles of water, to quench Difunta Correa's thirst. Sometimes the monuments and all the surrounding objects are painted completely red. Interestingly, truck drivers seem to be particularly devoted to her, and these small chapels are often created and visited by them.

Overall, the entire phenomenon is very interesting, especially since the Argentine Catholic church has apparently expressed outright disapproval of the legend. However, when you visit the shrine in Vallecito or see water bottles on the side of the road, you're remembered of what an important symbol she is in
AguaAguaAgua

Bottles of water are scattered through the shrine at Vallecito and along smaller ones on the side of highways all over the country.
the life of many faithful Argentines.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

La cruzLa cruz
La cruz

Atop the hill where Correa supposedly died are several crosses, surrounded by candles at their base.
GraciasGracias
Gracias

One old man's way of saying thank you to Difunta Correa.
La Difunta y niñoLa Difunta y niño
La Difunta y niño

A someone scary (to me at least) representation of la Difunta fills several chapels.
Hmm . . .Hmm . . .
Hmm . . .

I was sort of wondering what this was meant to give thanks for . . .
Roadside momumentRoadside momument
Roadside momument

This type of small monument can be found all along the highways in Argentina, signs of truckdriver's devotion.


31st October 2006

Muy Cool Trip
Andy...keep up the good work...I;d like to get a print out of all your blogs...its like reading a book...enjoy because one day you may have to work....Glenn Simmons
1st November 2006

ACK!
My friend pulled out a prayer card for disfunta correa a couple of months ago and told me the story of her. it made me cry possibly because i can imagine the story is real. and there is just something powerful about a dead or nearly dead woman giving life to someone else through herself. ANYWAY! I have always wanted to go to San Juan but haven´t found the time. Thanks for going for me.
1st November 2006

I'm glad you're enjoying my entries. I certainly am enjoying the experiences that lead to writing them, that's for sure. As for the work, it'll actually be here very soon. I'm going to be back in Atlanta in about two weeks and then will be starting advertising portfolio school either there or in Miami. I'm loving the travels, but I also feel like it's time to get serious about the other stuff. Thanks for reading, and hopefully I'll see all of you sometime soon. Give my best to the Mrs. and Eleanor!
1st November 2006

I'm glad you got something out of my little trip. Anything else you want me to do? :-)
2nd November 2006

Wow
Andy, I've been reading your journal here and there...and it is amazing! What an experience! Thanks for sharing. Jamie Holman
2nd November 2006

Fabulous blog
Your blog is simply fabulous. The best, most thorough, interesting and truest sense of South America I've seen. Your mom sent me the link several weeks ago but I finally had time to sit down and read the entire thing today. I'm here in Milan at my sister's so I'm having a bit of an adventure myself though not nearly as exotic as yours. Mine is mostly consisting of daily cappuccini, walking, reading, catching up on e-mail, chatting, etc. La vita bella in general... Have a wonderful last couple of weeks. You'll treasure this time forever and as you get further out from the adventure you'll find that the most challenging/uncomfortable experiences will become the most oft-repeated and memorable stories. I hope to hear some of them in person some day. Blessings! Judith Wencel (from Ann Arbor days)

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0799s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb