Salta, Cafayate, el Tren de las Nuves, Tilcara y alrededores


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta
March 27th 2009
Published: May 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After spending again so many hours on a bus when I arrived to Salta I just went for a walk around this nice colonial city. I started my walk at the main square as it is where most of the beautiful buildings are concentrated, like the cathedral and it’s the heart of the place (like in most Latin America and Spanish towns and cities). Then went to Cerro San Bernardo by cable car to enjoy the views of the city and surrounding mountains from the top. Then went to a few travel agencies to see what they were offering me as I wanted to see a few of the surrounding areas.
The tour started driving south towards Cafayate at very early hours, along the Cafayate Gorge (Quebrada de Cafayate) passing through distinctive sandstone landforms like Devil’s Throat (2nd one in a few days), the Anfitheatre, the Toad, the Obelisk, the Castles, and many more. It was so beautiful with the red stones (Due to all the iron in the soil here) and other colours as well. In all this area and also Bolivia and Peru is very common for people to chew coca leaves as it helps with fatigue, altitude and digestive problems, so much that you see lots of people “coqueando” (chewing coca leaves) all day with a hump in one side of their mouth. Our guide explained to us a few facts about coca leaves, as per contrary as some people may believe this is not a drug. As example, to make 1gm of cocaine you need 100kg of coca leaves plus all the chemicals that go in it. So I decided to try it as the altitude was affecting me and I had a headache, but I have to say I didn’t really like it as had a bitter taste, so tomorrow I will try the coca tea (with lots of sugar). When we arrived to Cafayate we had something to eat and then for a walk around the square, with the cathedral…of course. After dinner at the hostel Nacha and I went to la Pena la Panaderia to see some typical dances and music from this area called Folklore. I really enjoyed it with their colourful costumes, and even bought one CD with typical music.
Around 2am I decided to call it a day as after being all day out I was very tired and I had to get up again at 6.30 to go on my next tour.
I got picked up at 7am again to start this tour (Tren de las nubes, Gran Salar and Quebrada de Humahuaca). I have to say I’m no fan of tours but sometimes, like here, are necessary to see all that is such a short time. We headed west towards La Quebrada del Toro (Bull’s Gorge) where the rails of the “Tren de las Nubes” start. The train (which we didn’t take as it’s not working at the moment due to maintenance) makes countless switchbacks and spirals to ascend this gorge to reach the High Puna (Andean Plateau). This train is a magnific engineering achievement, which the highest point is at 4220m above sea level, and built in the 1920s. We stopped halfway in a little town where I had some coca tea with lots of sugar, which was actually ok. The ascending road was all dirt road, which made our journey very long. The end of the train is in San Antonio de los Cobres, a little town with houses built of mud bricks on one side and normal bricks on the other (the military side), and nothing else to see a part from all the poor kids running around. People here look like Bolivians and today I found out it is because all this aread and Bolivia (and also parts of Peru) used to be one land hence the same facial caractheristics. After eating a couple of empanadas we continued our journey through La Quebrada where we reached the highest point of the day at more than 4500m over sea level. From there it was then all down the Quebrada in a very windy road but with beautiful scenery with mountains in different colours. All the way we kept seeing lots of llamas, vicunas (similar but smaller and thiner) and also donkeys. Then we visited the Great Salar, where it was really hot as the sun was very strong. As I am heading towards the great Uyuni Salar I know this one is small compared to the one in Bolivia, and believe me this one wasn’t that small either. Then we entered La Quebrada de Humahuaca, were we saw again lots of cardones (like big cactus, however this ones have wood inside - you can even buy some handicraft made of it). We had to stop at a little village called Purmamarca where you can see the Cerro de 7 colores as the mountains seem to have so many different colours due to the high content of different minerals. On the side of the road we appreciated a very beautiful rock formation called the Painter’s palette as the rock has many different colours. Just before arriving to Tilcara we stopped by the road to admire the hillside cementery of Maimara. After checking in the hostel I went to do some laundry and to call my bank as I think I had lost my credit card, ops. Then I found the Argentinian guys I have met in Salta so we all went for dinner at a Pena (restaurant with live folklore music), then to bed to rest as the following day we had planned a long trek.
We met up at 9am and started our trek by going to Pucara, an archeological site 1km from the town. This place rises above the sediments of Rio Grande Valley in an isolated hill where some parts have been reconstructed so that we could see how they used to live hundreds of years ago in these parts. From the top the views of the valley were fantastic. Then it was time to go to La Garganta del Diablo (Devil’s Throat). The little road to get there was very step at parts and we had to stop many times to catch our breath, but the views from it were amazing, so we didn’t complaint much. I have to say the photos don’t do justice to this place. When we got there after walking for 4-5 km it was another km down and through the rocks to get to the waterfall. Well what can I say, after seeing Iguazu Falls nothing can compare with it now and this was a very small waterfall anyway. The 2 argentinian girls and I end up getting a lift back to town by car, as we were so tired that couldn’t walk anymore. Back in town we all had a drink together before we all parted separate ways, except for Salvi, the Spanish guy who was coming to Bolivia with me.


Despues de pasarme unas cuantas horas en un autobus de nuevo, llegue a Salta y me fui a dar un paseo por esta ciudad colonial. Me pasee por la plaza central, donde estan situados los edificios mas bonitos como la catedral, y que es el corazon de la ciudad (como en la mayoria de ciudades Espanolas y Latinoamericanas). De ahi me fui al Cerro San Bernardo a disfrutar de las vistas de la ciudad y despues a varias agencies de viajes a ver lo que me ofrecian para ver algunas de las areas cercanas a Salta que me habian recomendado.
Al dia siguiente me fui de tour en ruta hacia Cafayate, a lo largo de la Quebrada de Cafayate pasando por distintivas formaciones rocosas como La Garganta del Diablo (la segunda en unos dias), el Amfiteatro, el Sapo, el Obelisco, los Castillos, etc. Las rocas eran rojas debido al alto contenido de hierro de la zona. En toda esta zona y tambien en Bolivia y Peru es muy comun ver a la gente masticar hojas de coca ya que les ayuda con el cansancio, la altitud y problemas digestivos, lo hacen tanto que ves a gente “coqueando” (masticando hojas de coca) todo el dia con un bulto en el carrillo. Nuestro guia nos explico algunos echos acerca de las hojas de coca, ya que al contrario que la gente piensa, las hojas de coca no son una droga. Como ejemplo nos dijo que para hacer un 1gr de cocaine (la droga! No la hoja) se necesitan mas de 100kg de hoja de coca mas todos los productos quimicos que llevan. Asi que decidi probar las ya que la altitude me estaba afectando y tenia dolor de cabeza, pero he de decir que no me gustaron mucho ya que tenian un gusto amargo, asi que manana probaria hacerme un te (con mucho azucar). Cuando llegamos a Cafayate paramos a comer y de ahi a dar un paseo por la plaza….con su catedral…por supuesto. Para cenar Nacha y yo nos fuimos a la Pena la Panaderia donde disfrutamos de musicas y bails de la zona llamados Folklore. Me encanto y sobretodo las vestimentas tan coloridas.
Al dia siguiente otro tour, esta vez por el camino del Tren de las Nubes, el Gran Salar y la Quebrada de Humahuaca. La verdad es que no me gusta mucho cojer tours pero hay veces que es necesario, como aqui, par aver lo maximo posible en poco tiempo sin tener que alquilar coche, ademas asi te explican cosas de la zona que de otra manera no me enteraria. Salimos hacia el este hacia la Quebrada del Toro donde las vias del Tren de las Nubes empiezan. El tren, que no tomamos porque no esta funcionando en estos dias por mantenimiento, hace numerosos espirales y zigzags para ascender y llegar hasta el Alto Puna. Este tren es un magnifico logro de ingenieria, con su punto mas alto a 4220m sobre el nivel del mar, y contruido en los anos 20. Paramos a medio camino en un pequeno pueblo donde me tome un te de coca con bastante azucar, y la verdad no estaba mal. La carretera de ascenso era mas un camino de piedras lo que hizo nuestro camino mas largo. El fin del tren es en San Antonio de los Cobres, un puequeno pueblo con casitas de adoquines en un lado y en el otro de ladrillos (el lado del ejercito), y nada mas que ver a parte de los ninos pobres corriendo en las calles. La gente en esta area tienen las mismas caracteristicas faciales que los Bolivianos, y hoy descubri que es porque este area, Bolivia y partes del Peru solian ser una sola. Despues de comerme un par de empanadas continuamos el viaje a traves de la Quebrada cuando llegamos al punto mas alto de nuestro dia, a 4500m de altitude. De ahi ya era todo de bajada por la quebrada por una carretera con muchas curves pero unas vistas preciosas de las montanas con sus diferentes colores. Durante todo el camino vimos un monton de llamas, vicunas (parecidas a las llamas pero mas pequenas y delgadas) y tambien unos cuantos burros. Tambien visitamos el Gran Salar, donde hacia un calor increible. Como estoy de camino a ver el Salar de Uyuni en Bolivia se que este salar es mucho mas pequeno, pero este no es pequeno para nada. De ahi nos fuimos hacia la Quebrada de Humahuaca, donde volvimos a ver un monton de cardones (son como cactus pero estos contienen madera en su interior - incluso se pueden comprar artesanias echas de estos). Nos paramos en un pequeno pueblo llamado Purmamarca desde donde pudimos disfrutar las vistas del Cerro de 7 colores, debido al alto contenido de minerals de las montanas. A un lado de la carretera admiramos una formacion rocosa llamada la Paleta del Pintor, una preciosa formacion y tan colorida. Cuando llegamos a Tilcara me encontre con unos chicos argentinos que habia conocido en Salta asi que todos nos fuimos a cenar a una Pena con musica folklore en directo, y de ahi a la cama ya que al dia siguiente planeamos una caminata bien larga.
Nos encontramos a las 9am para empezar nuestra caminata hacia Pucara, un lugar arqueologico a 1km del pueblo. Este lugar se eleva sobre los sedimientos del Valle del Rio Grande en una pequena montana solitaria, y algunas de las partes han sido reconstruidas y podemos ver como solian vivir cientos de anos atras. Desde lo alto de la colina disfrutamos de unas fantasticas vistas del valle. De ahi nos fuimos a la Garganta del Diablo, pero para llegar hasta alli tuvimos que ir por un pequeno camino con unas cuestas bastante pronunciadas, asi que nos ibamos parando cada varios metros para descansar y cojer aliento, pero lo mejor eran las vistas, asi que no nos quejamos mucho. He de decir que las fotos no le hacen justicia a este lugar. Cuando llegamos hasta la Garganta despues de una caminata de 4-5 km, habia otro km bajando hasta el pequeno valle y caminando entre las rocas hasta llegar a la cascada. Que puedo decir… despues de haber visto las Cascadas de Iguazu, nada se compara con ellas, y estas menos ya que era una cascadita bien pequena. Las dos chicas argentinas y yo acabamos volviendo al pueblo en coche con una pareja Argentina muy simpatica, ya que estabamos bien cansadas y no podiamos andar mas. Al llegar al pueblo nos fuimos todos a tomar una copita antes de irnos por caminos separados, excepto Salvi, el chico espanol, que al final decidio venir tambien a Bolivia conmigo.



Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 31


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb