Argentina via Paso Jama


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Salta
October 16th 2016
Published: October 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

At the Border into Bolivia. At the Border into Bolivia. At the Border into Bolivia.

It was 2 degrees here
Leaving San Pedro de Atacama we made our way up the 34km hill to the border of Bolivia, with temperatures hovering around the 2 degree mark until we reached the Argentina border with no problems and the day warmed up to the low 30's as we made our way to Purmamaca for the night.
The altitude had knocked Nikki around a bit, so she didn't join us for dinner, as she opted for an early night, her husband, Radar, kindly took her some leftovers to snack on during the night.

It was such a great ride over the Paso Jama with views and riding to die for, we made numerous stops to rest our butts and to enjoy what nature had thrown at us.
We stopped on the Salar (salt lake) to take some fun photos, unfortunately the winter rain had bought a lot of dirty water down from the mountains and had discoloured the salt, we had some fun anyway despite that.
The ride from here is just amazing as we climb up out of the valley as we ascend Paso Abra de Potrerillos to the highest point in our ride today at 4,200m before dropping down through the
The Altoplano The Altoplano The Altoplano

Along the Border with Bolivia
remarkable zig zags from Cuesta de Lipan into Purmamaca.

The ride from Purmamaca to Salta via Ruta 9 over the mountains was another great ride as the weather was fine and hardly any traffic.
We are now in Salta, Argentina's second largest city for two nights.
It was 33 degrees on arrival at our hotel.
I met some French people here that run 8 Harley Sportsters on tours out of Salta, they have modified the bikes for off pavement riding, with crash bars, aggressive looking reinforced handle bars and engine guards along with more aggressive tyres.
Paula and her brother Thomas run the day to day operation from here and Buenos Aires, while their partners in France arrange the punters.
All our bikes are running well so far having done 2,243kms since picking them up in Vina del Mar.
Pete has had to cable tie the belt guard onto the shock spring on Julie's bike as the securing bracket has broken, but otherwise no problems.
The temperature here today is to reach 36-37 degrees.
Tomorrow we head south to Cafayate for two nights.
Cheers for now, Rosco.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Another rest stop in no mans landAnother rest stop in no mans land
Another rest stop in no mans land

We are riding along the border of Bolivia between Chile and Argentina.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb