Salta la linda


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Salta
April 9th 2013
Published: April 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,



Tme to catch- up on some long due updates from our trip, I have actually been pick-pocketed a couple of days ago so me and Carmen are stuck in La Paz until i can get my emergency passport done... Other items in my wallet included national ID, driving licence and credit card. It was to be expected that something would happen on such a long trip it just sucks when it happens. Anyway...

Our route from San Pedro took us to the beautiful city of Salta in Argentina, based on recommendation from fellow travelers along the way we opted to do the famous Uyuni salt lakes jeep tour from Tupiza in Bolivia, welcoming a less busy road (than the one from San Pedro) and better landscape - the best alternative for Tupiza was to go through Argentina and make our way back up...

We originally tried to hitchhike at the boarder in San Pedro de Atacama but no truck driver would take us so we in the end had to pay the expensive tourist fare... Our plan wasn't originally to go all the way down to Salta that was taking us away from the Bolivian border but having gone from 2200m to over 4200 we both quite felt the altitude - Carmen got really sick and we thankfully opted to stay in Salta for few days to recover.

Salta was a breath of fresh air and we straight away felt at home in this city, the adjective linda (beautiful) often used to described Salta is deserved, the beautifull architecture and well maintained streets of the city center contrasts so well with well preserved tradition and a strong history. We spent most of our days hanging around the streets of the city looking at beautiful buildings as well as visiting few museums (Historia del Norte), eating at the local market and of course made our way on foot to cerro san bernando where we appreciated the city from above.

After few days we made our way to the city of Quiaca, a city that is half split between Argentina and Bolivia (named Villazon on the Bolivian side) from which we took a minivan that took us to Tupiza.



xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Salta Cathedral Salta Cathedral
Salta Cathedral

Reflected on some more modern buildings
Salta Cathedral floorSalta Cathedral floor
Salta Cathedral floor

3D vision effects !
Plaza 9 de Julio by nightPlaza 9 de Julio by night
Plaza 9 de Julio by night

Entrance to the Historia del Norte Museum


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb