Salta, our last stop in Argentina


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Salta
October 29th 2011
Published: October 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After leaving the beautiful Cafayate behind, we headed towards Salta. We stayed at the quite nice somewhat contorted hostel "Backpackers Salta" which had multiple roof terraces, one of which we could see from our dorm as well as a garden with a pool. As a novelty, the hostel offered a free dinner which we took part in for the three nights of our stay. The food was not that exciting but it gave us a variety to our routine of cooking pasta everyday.

As most Argentinan cities, Salta has a very nice main square with palmtrees, surrounded by white washed colonial houses and a very pretty pink cathedral. We did a little sightseeing but unfortunately for us, Argentina's presidential election was on the sunday we were in town and the few things that are usually open on the weekend like museums were closed on election day. If you are wondering about the outcome: "La Presidente" Cristina Kirchner was re-elected with a high majority.

Salta is surrounded by the Lerma mountains and from the city center there is a gondola going up the San Bernando mountain. We had a super view over the entire city and the top point had a very pretty park with lot of flowerbeds and a (fake) waterfall.

Salta was our last stop in Argentina. Yes, time is ticking and we have four more countries to go, so we said "Adiós Argentina" and headed for the Bolivian border. We could not go straight to Potosí in Bolivia but had to take a bus to La Quaica, the border town in Argentina. We got a very nice last glimpse of the amazing landscape in northern Argentina on the bus ride and finally saw some alpacas in the wild. Our busdriver was a little reckless though and hit a herd of sheep... In La Quaica, we just had to walk over a small bridge that connects the two countries and collect some exit and entrance stamps at the checkpoint and ended up in the Bolivian town of Villazón. Super quick and easy. We did some research before and thought that there were multiple buses leaving for Potosí each day but unfortuately there was only one at eight in the evening, so we had a couple hours to kill. One thing the travelguide did not tell us: Bolivia is in another timezone than Argentina which gave us an extra hour to wait.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



30th October 2011

MORE PHOTOS PLEASE
You are going to extraordinary destinations...more photos please

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb