Salta


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Salta
January 27th 2008
Published: February 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SaltaSaltaSalta

Our local hang out.
It was another long day on the bus to get us from Tupiza to Salta. We were up at 3am to catch the 4am (teeth chattering) bus from Tapiza to the boarder. Once we got into Argentina it was about an eight hour bus ride to Salta. We arrived at our hostel about 8pm that night, just in time to have a quick shower and head out with a group from the hostel to a traditional folklore resturant. This was my first introduction to Argentinean meat, and by god it was good. I am not a massive steak eater, and this thing was massive. I did pretty well and managed to polish almost all of it off. Ahh yumm……

Over the next couple of days, me and Karin didn’t really do too much except sit around the Plaza drinking really good coffee (for the first time in three months), eating empanadas and pastries (once again for the first time in three months), and looking around the shops (they actual sold real clothes!!) Oh, we did have a day of pampering where I got a hair cut and color, some waxing done and a nice relaxing massage. Ah, Salta - what
CafayateCafayateCafayate

Rock formations
paradise.

After a couple of days of not doing much we heading to a small town called Cafayate, about three hours south of Salta. Cafayate is Salta´s wine growing region and it was a lovely little spot to spend a day. On the drive there we stopped at a few places to check out the amazing rock formations. There is a natural amputheater in the rocks which gives off amazing sound and the Salta orchestra even plays there some times. We toured a couple of Bodegas (wineries) and did some wine tasting, which to be honest were nothing like the Australian wine tasting. It was pretty disappointing as they only gave you a taste of one white and one red, and they were the vineyards worst wines. Not a really great sales pitch if you ask me. But hey, I will never say no to free wine!!!

After a relaxing day of wandering around town, we were once again off on an early morning bus for a seven hour ride to Tucuman then an over night bus to Mendoza. (I am kind of getting over the long bus rides now).



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

CafayateCafayate
Cafayate

You do not want to hear me sing
CafayateCafayate
Cafayate

These rocks are cool


19th February 2008

Wine and good coffee - only in oz
Hey anna, i can't believe you'll be home soon. We're still so jealous that you're having so much fun. The photos are great and it sounds like you're meeting some great people. Take care, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb