Cerro Campanario

Published: March 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Despite getting to bed after 5am, i woke up at 8am to our first sunny day. Therefore i decided to drag my sorry arse out of bed, leaving a snoozing mojo behind, and go for a walk around the Lago Nahuel Huapi. It was still fresh, but just the thing to shake out the cobwebs. Got back to the hostel around 10.30, just as the others were waking up (except Mike who smehow managed to make it home as the sun rose drunk as a skunk).

As it was our first sunny day in Bariloche we decided to do the Cerro Companario trek. Bruno and Emiliano wanted to come, despite already doing the trek before we arrived. The walk up the mountain was a ****, with some parts involving scrambling up 45 degrees. However, the view from the summit was amaing, with falcons gliding around on the up drafts hunting for prey. After taking numerous photos we went into the summit cafe for lunch and had pizza, and were extremely suprised to see Mike stumble in, who had found out where we were going from Gaby, and caught the chairlift up the mountain.

The descent was much better, but still hard on the knees. As the weather was still briliant, all of us (except Mike) decided to do some more walking to the Peninsula San Pedro, where there was supposedly a great tea house and flower garden, run by a swiss lady. The walk was longer then we estimated, and by halfway we were expecting the best bloody tea in the world. The trail was once again covered with fruit trees and berry brambles, with some of the apple trees taller then the pines trees, some 20metres, and totaly covered in fruit.

Got to the the tea house, and the garden was pretty and the tea good, but we were so rooted that a cup of hot water would have tasted like the nectar of the gods. By then we realised that we had to walk back 4km to the main road to get a bus, not knowing if they were still running. Resulting in us covering the 4km in 25 minutes at a brisk pace that was painful at best.

We tried hitch hiking, to no avail, but thankfully managed to score a bus after 30minutes, getting back to the hostel after 9pm.

Not a bad effort after a big night...

Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Tot: 2.218s; Tpl: 0.065s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0508s; 2; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb