From the Alps to the Andes in 2 minutes


Advertisement
Published: March 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bariloche, in the province of Río Negro in Patagonia, is known as 'the Switzerland of the South' due to it's Alpine-inspired architecture, popularity as a skiing destination, and numerous chocolate shops. Located at the foothills of the Andes, the city faces the Lago Nahuel Huapi, a lake of 557 square kilometres with an indigenous Mapudungun name meaning Isle of the Tiger.

Our first day saw us sailing on the lake, visiting Isla Victoria and the Bosque de los Arrayanes on the Península Quetrihué. This is a popular route, as was evidenced by the amount of us traipsing through the woods on the isla and along the pathway in the bosque, a section of myrtle woodland. The return journey across Lago Nahuel Huapi was somewhat less picturesque, as we ended up completing it in darkness: the quaint little boat we had travelled on seemed to be showing its age and broke down as we were leaving the island in the late afternoon. Ninety minutes kip later, we were awoken by the sound of a brand new boat coming to whisk us back to town.

A ten-hour bus trip along the scenic Ruta de los Siete Lagos (Seven Lakes Route) was next, though the dull weather threw a bit of a dampener on the views, and the over-jocular guide, on our serenity. In the town of San Martín de los Andes we came across what would be the first of a couple of 'Irish' bars called 'Dublin' to be spotted on this trip, and a red, ex-London double-decker bus which provides tours around town. The weather cleared a little as we headed back to Bariloche through Junín de los Andes and the Valle Encantado (Enchanted Valley), and we managed to catch sight of a group of condors circling overhead, Sancho and Quijote climbing uphill and the face of Jesus in a rock. Yes, the things one sees from a bus window...



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Bosque de los ArrayanesBosque de los Arrayanes
Bosque de los Arrayanes

These woods were once thought to have been the inspiration for the scenery in Disney's 'Bambi', but the rumour wasn't actually true. However, the bosque seems to survive successfully enough on its reputation as 'The Place That Could Have Inspired Walt Disney, But Didn't'.
Centro Cívico, BarilocheCentro Cívico, Bariloche
Centro Cívico, Bariloche

The civic square.
CelticEclecticCelticEclectic
CelticEclectic

It's a good umbrella term, 'Celtic'...
"High on a hill..." The Llao Llao hotel"High on a hill..." The Llao Llao hotel
"High on a hill..." The Llao Llao hotel

Well-known in Argentina, this hotel, located on a hill between two lakes in the foothills of the Andes, was somewhat beyond our budget...
Ruta 7 LagosRuta 7 Lagos
Ruta 7 Lagos

Along the Seven Lakes route.
San Martín de los Andes' tour busSan Martín de los Andes' tour bus
San Martín de los Andes' tour bus

From Oxford Street to the Andes
QuixoticQuixotic
Quixotic

Supposedly looks like Don Quijote on his horse with Sancho Panza behind.
Rock GodRock God
Rock God

Supposedly looks like Jesus' face, crowned and in profile.


Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 21; qc: 106; dbt: 0.1298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb