Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
March 5th 2015
Published: March 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Days 10 to 14 01 March until 05 March Buenos Aires



On the Monday morning I woke up in BA, looking forward to exploring and seeing the town. I got a map from the hostel and walked around the town, I ended up on the Plaza de Mayo, where I saw the Casa Rosada (the pink house) - this is the mansion and office of the President of Argentina, the Catedral - which is a lovely building that house the remains of General San Martin who was the prime leader in the South America struggle for independence , Cabildo - which housed the first government of Buenos Aires, and the Legislatura a central part of the govenment of BA. I wandered around for a few hours, enjoying the sunshine and warmth then headed back to the hostel, where I met up with some others are we all headed out to La Bomba de Tiempo, a 17 piece improvisational drum group, the show was on for about 3hrs and was good, but the street party afterwards was even more fun, once the performance ended each member of the group picked up their drum and headed into the street, the whole crowd followed them away from the performance venue to the after party, filling up the street with music and dancing. We followed for a while then headed back to the hostel.

The next morning after a late night, a group of us headed off at 11am on a walking tour to La Boca, which is a bright colourful area of BA, though outside the few tourist streets the neighbour hood becomes very poor. After coming back to the hostel and relaxing for a little while, that evening I went on the second part of the walking tour to Puerto Madero, where I drank Mate (a type of tea, infused dried leaved steeped in hot water and drank through a metal straw, its a drink to be shared. So we drank and chatted until the park was dark and the mozzie's were biting.

On Wednesday, There was a walking tour downtown , that a lot of us went on, we heard the history of Peron and Evita (the president and his wife), in Buenos Aires, there is a great love for Evita, especially as she did a lot of good for the lower working class people in BA. As part of the tour we went into the museum, where all the clipping and some personal effects of Evita are housed, the next room is her office where her body lay for about 2 years before it was stolen and went missing for about 16 years and subsequently buried in the Duarte (Her family) tomb in LA Recoleta Cemetery.

Today (Thursday) is my last day in Buenos Aires, this morning I went into the town with some of the people I've met during my few days here, now I'm heading off Puerto Iguazu, to see the waterfalls. Its a 17 hr bus trip, I got the "good" seats so looking forward to my bus bed.

It was a lovely friendly hostel to say in, the common area on the ground floor is where everyone was hanging out, and most nights we were sitting around and chatting til the wee hours of the morning, this may have just been the group that was here at the time, where English was the main language spoken.

Till next time

Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.1599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb