A leaky tent and a sore bum / Una tienda con goteras y un trasero dolorido


Advertisement
Published: March 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The Lakes / Los Lagos


Villa La Angostura

And with that we waved goodbye to Bariloche, 3 weeks after we arrived. We didn't go very far though, just 90 kms to the north-west. One of the park rangers in Iguazú had recommended this town to us as one of the prettiest in the Lake District, which is also the favourite destination of the better-off Argentinians for their summer holidays. Meaning accommodation would also be more expensive, so we decided to camp yet again. The sun was shining brightly after all...

Naturally, it didn't last. That evening the heavens opened like it hadn't rained in a decade and by the time we got to the tent, slightly drenched, we had 4 leaks. Splendid! After piling up our possessions so that they wouldn't touch the walls and wrapping our feet in our waterproof jackets, we got ready to sleep, it was a somewhat tight fit but at least we were dry. Next day when it stopped raining for 10 minutes we didn't waste our time and emptied a re-proofing spray can all over the cover. Happy to report it did the trick and we stayed dry! Others weren't as lucky... We heard reports that some people had been pretty much washed away the week before and had to seek refuge in the nearby petrol station! What fun.

On our last day here we decided to hire a couple of bikes and visit the nearby Arrayanes National Park. This is located in a small peninsula about 2 miles from the town centre, where a rare "arrayan" tree forest is to be found - the national park was created only in 1971 with the sole aim to protect this forest, which is apparently the only Arrayanes forest in the world, and has some specimens which are over 600 years old. The trees are very pretty, their wood is cinnamon coloured and very soft - they say Walt Disney was inspired to write Bambi after a visit to this place. They have white flowers in the summer, and bear a black fruit in the autumn, which the aborigines (tehuelches & araucanos = mapuches) used to make "chicha", a powerful alcoholic drink. Their leaves are also used to cure digestive and bronchial complaints.

Anyway, enough of alternative medicine history... back to the bike story. So, like we said, it was a 2 mile ride from the town to the entrance to the park, then an extra 8 miles, which would have made a long 20 mile bike ride there and back. Maria was not thrilled at the prospect - not having ridden a bike for a while (at least 5 years) she was a bit nervous and did not feel very confident, so we decided to take the catamaran to the other end of the peninsula and ride on the way back. What we hoped would be a nice forest path to ride on, turned out to be more like an obstacle course, with rocks and tree roots sticking-out, and slopes that rose at not a particularly gentle angle. Maria soon started to lose heart when she found herself pushing the bike more often than riding it, and especially after tripping over a blinking root and falling on a thorny bush in front of 7 (yes, seven) onlookers. Blushing like a real red English rose, and with her ego hurting more than the scratches, she got ready to push the stupid thing for the remaining 9 miles. However, Mark kept on encouraging her and she finally decided to give it another go, though whilst he was enjoying the downhills like a mad man, she felt her fingers seizing up around the brakes and the break pads smoking like an industrial chimney.

With the worst bit behind her, and surely being a bit of a glutton for punishment, she felt corageous enough to prolong the torture and take a little detour to a nearby lake for lunch - something she would certainly come to regret later when, once her leg muscles cooled down, they refused to work again, and her bum was so sore it was crying for mercy every time she tried to rest it on the seat. Why, oh why, she asks, do they have to make them so small?!? She only made it back by standing on the pedals on the downhills and pushing the bike on the flat and uphills. She was certainly glad to return it... and when everything was still hurting the next day, and she had the feeling that she was wearing a bike-shaped thong, she swore she will never, ever, ride a bike again unless it comes with an extra comfy seat or one in the shape of a swimming ring. Famous last words...

San Martin de los Andes

Another 100 kms on the coach and we arrived in our last destination in the Lake District. San Martin is a very pleasant town with a lovely climate, surrounded by green hills and on the shores of a Lake (Lácar) where people go swimming, sun bathing, sailing, diving... there are also lovely walks in the area with great views over the hills and the lake.

On one of these walks you get to a couple of viewpoints and it was in one of them that we met the bracelet seller of our main picture. She was there with her brothers, each filthier than the next, selling bracelets, lavender bunches and other bits and pieces but we didn't want to buy anything from them nor give them the "little coin" they kept asking for, as we didn't want to encourage their underage working or begging. From there we carried on up the hill to a tea house that was opened by an English lady in the 1930s after she fell in love with the area. Not surprisingly, as the view from the outdoor terrace is absolutely beautiful. A bit like the "drunken duck" in the English Lake District, if
Pancake / Panqueque... hmmmmPancake / Panqueque... hmmmmPancake / Panqueque... hmmmm

Filled with a toffee-like cream, delicious! ********** Relleno de "dulce de leche", ¡delicioso!
you've ever been there.

On our way back, with the sun already low in the sky and night closing in, we found our little bracelet seller all on her own, still waiting for someone to buy something off her. Although we tried to ignore her as we walked past her, when she shouted "would you like a bracelet?" and showed us a big grin, Maria couldn't resist it any longer. "Who makes them?", she asked her. "I DO!", she replied proudly, and her smile broadened. On closer inspection, we believed her. The bracelets were simple braids made of common wool thread, a bit uneven and shabby. But Maria felt sorry that she was out on her own this late, and hoping she would go home after a sale, she bought one off her, which is now adorning the new camera strap. And as we were waving goodbye, she pulled an even bigger grin as, brandishing a bunch of flowers in her small hand, she shouted hopefully... "LAVENDER?"

And with that we went to bed, hoping for a restful sleep before the coach whisked us off away from the Lake District and on to our next destination the following
AmancayAmancayAmancay

Legend surrounding this flower in the text ********** Leyenda acerca de esta flor en el texto
day... at 6 o´clock in the morning!!! Don't these coach operators have any compassion at all!?!

Well that's about it for this "short" blog, but we thought we'd keep you entertained for a couple more minutes with the legend of the Amancay flower. Probably more for the ladies (it is a bit of a soppy tear-jerker), so guys feel free to skip the next 3 paragraphs...

By the shores of a mountain river, which had its origin in a calm lake locked between snow-covered mountains, there lived a tribe of mapuche indians. Quintral, the chief’s son, was an attractive young man who enjoyed going hunting and fishing across the river. One day he arrived at the lake where another tribe lived, and met Amancay, a beautiful Indian girl. They immediate fell in love (naturally). But this mutual attraction would be the fruit of forbidden love, since a girl of such humble origin could not aspire to be with a chief’s son.

One day Quintral fell seriously ill during an epidemic that had begun to decimate the tribe (probably lurgies brought by the Spaniards). As the days went by and he did not get any better, Amancay went to see the tribe’s healer, who entrusted a secret to her. There was a way to obtain a remedy to cure Quintral - this was an infusion to be prepared with a flower that only grew in the frozen summits. Although Amancay was well aware of the dangers this entailed (the mountains were Gods to them and she was afraid to incur the God’s wrath) she did not hesitate to set out in her mission to save her loved one.

She climbed the mountain and found the flower, and when she was happily on her way back, she was confronted by the king and guardian of the mountain, the mighty condor, who accused her of having taken something sacred from the mountain God and demanded she returned the flower. When she refused, the condor then demanded she gave up her heart in payment, to which she agreed. The king of the heights flew away with its prize in its claws, dyeing the slopes red with the blood drops that flowed from the heart. And in the spots where the blood fell, a beautiful flower started to bloom, its top petal tinted with the red drops of the blood that had been spilled, thus spreading a message of love across the valleys and mountains of the region.

And now we'll let you put your hankies away, and get your crampons, ice pick and gas masks out... we'll be climbing a live volcano next week! Yikes! (Many more pictures too!)


PS - Whilst convalescing, and after (especially Maria) lamenting the mediocre quality of the pictures we've been taking over the last few months, we decided to blow the budget on a better camera. It's not as good as the SLR we left behind, but then again it is more manageable, less heavy and bulky and certainly less attractive to potential thieves. It also seems to take better landscape pictures as it's got better focussing ability, plus a powerful option zoom (12x) and image stabiliser that Maria absolutely loves (though she still wants a wide angle adapter and a sun protection hood). Let us know if you can see any difference in the pictures - the Bariloche ones were the first lot taken with it, next blog's will be (we think) more impressive!

***********************************************************************

Villa la Angostura

Y por fin dijimos adiós a Bariloche, 3 semanas
después de llegar. Pero no nos fuimos muy lejos, sólo 90 kms al noroeste. Uno de los guardabosques del parque en Iguazú nos había recomendado esta ciudad como una de las más bonitas del distrito de los lagos; también es al parecer el destino favorito de los argentinos más pudientes para pasar sus vacaciones de verano. Lo que también significaría que el alojamiento sería más caro, así que decidimos acampar de nuevo. Después de todo, lucía espléndido el sol cuando llegamos...

Aunque, naturalmente, no duró. Esa tarde los cielos se abrieron como si no hubiese llovido en una década y para cuando llegamos a la tienda, ligeramente calados, teníamos 4 goteras. ¡Qué bien! Después de apilar nuestras posesiones de modo que no tocaran las paredes y envolvernos los pies en los chubasqueros, nos dispusimos a dormir, algo apretaditos pero secos por lo menos. Al día siguiente cuando paró de llover 10 minutos no perdimos el tiempo y vaciamos una spray re-impermeabilizante sobre el cubretecho. Nos alegra poder comunicar que funcionó y no nos volvimos a mojar. Otros no fueron tan afortunados... Nos contaban los del pueblo que hubo gente a quien casi se le había llevado un aguacero la semana anterior y tuvieron que buscar refugio ¡en la gasolinera! Qué divertido.

Para nuestro último día en el pueblo, decidimos alquilar un par de bicis y visitar el parque nacional “Los Arrayanes”. Este embarca la península Quetrihué, a unos 3 kms del centro, a un extremo de la cual se encuentra un bosque de arrayanes - el parque nacional fue creado en 1971 con el único objetivo de proteger este bosque, que es al parecer único en el mundo, y tiene algunos especimenes de más de 600 años de antigüedad. Los árboles son muy bonitos, su madera es de color canela y muy suave - dicen que Walt Disney recibió su inspiración para escribir Bambi después de una visita a este lugar. Los árboles tienen flores blancas en el verano, y en otoño dan una fruta negra que los aborígenes (tehuelches y araucanos = mapuches) utilizaban para hacer “chicha”, una fuerte bebida alcohólica. Sus hojas también se utilizan para curar aflicciones digestivas y bronquiales. Pero dejémonos de historia de medicina alternativa...

De vuelta a la historia de la bici. Como dijimos, era un paseo de 3 kms desde el centro a la entrada al parque, más 12 kilómetros
Sunset in San Martin / Atardecer en San MartinSunset in San Martin / Atardecer en San MartinSunset in San Martin / Atardecer en San Martin

Quite possibly the most amazing evening sky we've ever seen ********** Muy posiblemente el cielo de atardecer más increible que hemos visto nunca
de península, que se habrían convertido en un largo paseo de 30 kms ida y vuelta. Cosa que a mí en particular no me emocionaba mucho pues llevo un montón de tiempo sin montar en bici, y siendo de disposición algo nerviosa no me inspiraba gran confianza el ejercicio, así que para hacerlo más corto y fácil decidimos ir en catamarán hasta el otro extremo de la península y así sólo tener que hacer en bici el camino de regreso. Lo que esperábamos iba a ser un agradable paseo por el bosque, resultó ser más bien un circuito de obstáculos, con rocas y raíces por todas partes listas a jugarte una mala pasada. ¡Por no hablar de las cuestas!

No tardé en desanimarme cuando me encontré empujando la bici con más frecuencia que montándola, y especialmente después de pegármela contra una raíz traicionera y caerme en un zarzal delante de 7 (sí, siete) testigos. Más colorada que un tomate, y doliéndome el orgullo más que los arañazos, estaba decidida a empujar la maldita bici los 10 kms restantes. Sin embargo, Mark siguió alentándome (más paciencia que un santo tiene mi chico) y al final me volví a animar y logré llegar al final, aunque mientras él disfrutó como un mono de las bajadas en picado, a mí se me agarrotaban los dedos alrededor de los frenos, a los que iba apretando tanto que poco faltó para que empezaran a echar humo.

Pero una vez pasado lo peor, no se me ocurrió mejor idea que prolongar la tortura y tomar un pequeño desvío a una laguna cercana para comer - algo de lo que me arrepentiría más adelante cuando, una vez que las piernas se me enfriaron, se negaron a trabajar otra vez, y el trasero me dolía tanto que pedía compasión a gritos cada vez que intentaba colocarlo en el sillín. ¿Por qué, me pregunto, tienen que hacerlos tan pequeños? Sólo pude llegar a mi destino final poniéndome de pie en los pedales cuesta abajo y empujando la bici cuesta arriba y en llano. Desde luego que me alegré de poder devolverla... y cuando todavía me dolía todo al dia siguiente, y al otro, juré que nunca jamás volveré a subirme a una bici hasta que las hagan con un sillín super cómodo o en forma de flotador... (Pero ya se sabe eso de "nunca digas nunca jamás"...)

San Martin de los Andes

Otros 100 kms en autocar y llegamos a nuestro último destino en el distrito de los lagos. San Martin es una bonita ciudad con un clima estupendo, al estar rodeada de colinas verdes y a las orillas de un lago (Lácar) donde la gente va a nadar, a tomar el sol, a hacer vela, buceo... hay también muy buenos paseos en el área con vistas espléndidas. En uno de éstos se llega hasta un par de miradores desde dónde se puede observar la ciudad y el lago, y es en uno de ellos que vimos por primera vez a nuestra vendedora de pulseras. Estaba allí con sus hermanos, a cada cual más sucio, vendiendo pulseras, ramilletes de lavanda y otras cosillas, pero no quisimos comprarles nada ni darles la “monedita” que te piden, pues no queremos contribuir a fomentar que los niños trabajen ni mendiguen.

Así que continuamos subiendo hasta llegar a una casa de té que abrió por primera vez una chica inglesa en los años 30 después de enamorarse del sitio. Que no es de extrañar pues las vistas son una maravilla. Y cuando ya habíamos emprendimos el regreso, con el sol perdiéndose en el horizonte y la noche cayendo sobre nosotros, encontramos a nuestra pequeña vendedora toda solita, todavía esperando que alguien le comprara algo. Aunque intentamos no hacerle caso y pasar de largo, cuando gritó “¿quieren comprar una pulsera?” con una gran sonrisa, ya no pude resistirlo más. “¿Quién las hace?”, le pregunté. “¡YO!”, me contestó orgullosa, y su sonrisa se agrandó aún más. Un vistazo rápido nos convenció de que decía la verdad. Las pulseras no eran más que simples trenzas de lana corriente y moliente, algo chapucerillas. Pero me dió tanta pena verla ahí solita tan tarde, que con la esperanza de que se fuera a casa después de vender algo, le compré una de las pulseras, que ahora adorna la correa de la cámara. Y mientras le decíamos adiós, nos regaló otra gran sonrisa a la vez que decía, manojo en mano... “¿LAVANDA?”

Y con esto nos fuimos a la cama, esperando tener un sueño reparador antes de salir hacia nuestro nuevo destino bien tempranito al día siguiente... y por bien tempranito quiero decir ¡las 6 de la mañana!!! ¡¿Es que no tienen compasión?!

Como esta página nos ha quedado algo “corta”, se nos ocurrió manteneros entretenidos un par de minutos más con la leyenda de la flor Amancay. Probablemente sea más del gusto de las damas (es un poco romanticota y para llorar), así que los caballeros se pueden saltar los 3 párrafos siguientes si gustan... (que no se diga que no os advertimos).

Y la leyenda cuenta... Que a las orillas de un río de la cordillera, que nacía en un lago entre montañas nevadas, vivía una tribu de indios mapuches. Quintral, el hijo del jefe, era un apuesto joven a quien le gustaba recorrer el río cazando y pescando, hasta que un día llegó hasta el lago y conoció a Amancay, y el flechazo fue mutuo e inminente. Pero ese sentimiento se convertiría en un amor prohibido, pues al ser ella de origen humilde, su relación no estaba permitida.

Así pasó algún tiempo, hasta que Quintral cayó enfermo a causa de una epidemia que había empezado a diezmar la tribu (seguramente uno de los virus que los trajimos nosotros). Al enterarse Amancay, fue a ver a la curandera, quien le confió que la única manera de salvar a Quintral era hacer una infusión con una flor que crecía en la montaña. Aún sabiendo el gran peligro que corría (las montañas eran dioses para la tribu y Amancay temía despertar su ira), decidida a salvar al objeto de su amor, Amancay emprendió la marcha, logrando encontrar la flor en la cima de la montaña.

Ya en el camino de vuelta, feliz y satisfecha de que Quintral iba a recuperar la salud, se encontró con el cóndor, rey y guardián de la montaña, quien le exigió que devolviera la flor pues era un objeto sagrado de los dioses. Al negarse ella, el cóndor le pidió que entonces le diese a cambio su corazón, y Amancay aceptó. El cóndor se dirigió entonces hacia su morada, tiñendo de rojo el camino con la sangre que manaba del corazón que llevaba en sus garras. Y en aquellos lugares que regó con ella, empezó a brotar una flor, teñido su pétalo más alto con las rojas gotas de la sangre que Amancay sacrificó, propagando de esta manera un mensaje de amor por los valles y las montañas de toda la cordillera.

Y ahora os dejamos que guardéis los pañuelos, y saquéis los crampones, piolet y máscara de gas... ¡nos vamos a subir a un volcán activo! ¡Ayayay! (También habrá más fotos)


P.D. - Mientras convalecíamos en Bariloche, y después de (sobre todo yo) lamentar la mediocre calidad de las fotos que hemos estado sacando en los últimos meses, decidimos machacar el presupuesto y comprarnos una cámara mejor. No es tan buena como la réflex que nos dejamos atrás, pero sí es más manejable, ligera y abulta menos, y sobre todo les parecerá menos atractiva a posibles ladrones. También parece sacar mejores fotos de paisajes, más que nada porque tiene mucha mejor capacidad de enfoque, más un estabilizador de imagen y un zoom óptico enorme (12x) que me tiene encantada (aunque insisto que aún me hace falta un parasol y un adaptador gran angular, pero bueno). Total, ya nos diréis si notáis mejoría en las fotos las de Bariloche fueron las primeras que sacamos con ella, ¡y esperamos que mejoren todavía más! (sobre todo cuando me lea el manual de una vez y sepa como usarla en condiciones).

Advertisement



1st March 2006

Camera
Photos look good - let me know which camera you got next time you email. Bon voyage. Sue xx
15th March 2006

15/03/06 - 15:31
Del 20 al 31 de Marzo estaremos en Egipto: Manolo, Beatriz y yo. Tus fotos nos parecen divinas. Contactaremos a la vuelta. xxx
18th March 2006

New camera
Very impressed with the photographs. (Actually, we are very impressed with everything you are doing and your fantastic travelogue). Can you include details of the new camera? Glad you haven't got a sore tent!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb