Obrigado Brazil it's been brilliant, Hola Puerto Iguazu Argentina!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
March 16th 2013
Published: March 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Iguazu Falls ArgentinaIguazu Falls ArgentinaIguazu Falls Argentina

Rainbow - this one was actually a full circle just couldnt capture it all!
16th March ’13 Brasil to Argentina

Once again it was very bizarre to leave our hotel in Brasil and just outside catch a bus to Argentina! Luckily when we checked out the lady on the desk spoke great English and explained to us the border crossing process. Basically we caught the public bus but had to tell the driver to drop us at the Policia National (border post), he then gave us a white slip which meant once we had been stamped out of the country we just had to wait for the next bus of the same line to come along and we didn’t have to pay again – great system.

There was hardly anyone at the border post so we were soon stamped out and sat at the bus stop waiting for the bus which only took about 10 minutes and luckily was the same line (there are 3 companies operating this route) so we jumped aboard.

A few minutes later we reached the Argentinian border control and everyone got off, so we followed them into the building where a very sour faced official stamped us into the country. We then had to put our luggage through a scanner and climb back onto the bus again. A very similar process to our crossing from Canada to the states way back at the start of the trip minus the screeching police car, shouting and guns!

The bus took us into the little town of Puerto Iguazu and after winding through the streets we arrived at the bus station and I have to say it is HOT! So it’s going to be back to covering up all the burnt bits. After a bit of a detour (note I didn’t mention Howard took us the wrong way!) we arrived at the Noelia Hostel – we heard it before we saw it as the music is blasting out…

It’s basic but I guess we have got air con, the staff are friendly and there is a small pool which is a bit of a bonus. After dumping the bags we went out for a wander and to try and find an ATM – the place was just about deserted but we managed to get some money and found a café for a sarnie (it’s not cheap here!)

Mooching around the town we eventually twigged it was siesta time (12.30-5!) which explained the marie celeste feel to the place, so we trugged back up to the hostel and just chilled out f,or the rest of the day.

We found a nearby restaurant for tea and picked the cheapest thing for tea – which was chicken kebab and came out covered in cheese…. Oh dear Howard you are going to have to remember to say sin queso to everything in future. Luckily the owner changed Howards bit without any hassle so he did get to eat after all.

Back at the hostel and the music was blaring some electronic, beeping rubbish which was a bit of a nightmare but hopefully they will change the tape tomorrow!

17th March ’13 The Iguazu Falls – the Argentinian side

After about a fitful 6 hours kip it was time to get up and head to the falls once more, now this should be interesting – time to find out if they really are better this side than Brazil. There are tons of bus companies going out to the National Park and you just pick one and buy a return ticket in advance. Unlike in Brazil where the local
Iguazu Falls ArgentinaIguazu Falls ArgentinaIguazu Falls Argentina

and another one!
bus cost less than £2 (return) to get there, it cost us £7 over here.

Once we arrived at the Park we discovered that despite getting up early the bloody coach trips were already out in force, damn them! Still we paid our dosh (£24 each – Brazil side £14), grabbed a map and set off.

We walked a fair way just to get to the start of the Lower Falls Trail and thankfully the huge tour group by passed it. We went down and down and weaved through the jungle on walkways and came out near the base of several waterfalls. One great thing was that for a lot of the time we were the only people there which was amazing. The falls were gorgeous; there were rainbows everywhere, including a full circle one!! – never seen that before! We must have spent a good couple of hours doing this loop and stopping to stare in wonder at the sights.

The walk was circular and eventually wound its way back up higher and higher – you need good knees for all these steps and mine were complaining that they were not good knees indeed! Then we did the Upper Falls Trail, which led round the top of lots of waterfalls and there were great views across to the Brazil side. There was also about a million butterflies – Deb you would have died, probably in a mass fit of screaming hysterics as you launched yourself over a waterfall!! They were everywhere and kept landing on my hat at one point, there were so many sizes and colours it was quite astounding. The most amazing sight though was the butterflies who were drinking from the tops of the waterfalls – how they avoided getting their wings soaked and being pulled into the water as it fell I just don’t know!

This only left the Devil’s Throat left to visit (as the Island was closed) so we walked back up to where the little train stop was and stood in a gigantic queue for 15 minutes, as soon as it pulled in the jostling for position took place but in the end I think everyone managed to cram in.

The train headed up river and then we all piled off and headed for the walkway, with its’ sign warning you to stay on the walkway because
Iguazu Falls ArgentinaIguazu Falls ArgentinaIguazu Falls Argentina

Howard's turn to get soaked
of snakes – well we are in the jungle. It seemed as if we were walking miles out across the Iguazu River, maybe that was due to the heat or maybe we really were – Howard reckons it was only ½ mile, huh!

Suddenly we reached our destination and all I can say is WOW! We were standing right next to one side of the semicircle of waterfalls that make up the Devil’s Throat. In front of us was this thundering, boiling, mass of water hurling itself over the edge and disappearing into clouds of mist, it was incredible I have never seen anything like it! There were plenty of people there but the sight was just transfixing and until everyone started squealing when we got totally soaked by great volumes of spray I kind of forget. It really was spell binding and as we walked around the end walkway each view was just magnificent and beautiful. I guess this is why a lot of people think the Argentinian side is better, I just think it’s different.

Having now seen the Falls from both sides I couldn’t choose between them, from Brazil you get the great vast panoramic views and a lot wetter – so more fun but Argentina has the up close with some of the waterfalls, the Devil’s Throat experience and all the butterflies. Both sides have the Matis sniffing out and chasing people with food. Both are awe inspiring and beautiful. So I guess I would say, when it comes down to it………

VISIT THEM BOTH!!!

Getting the bus back to town was no problem and after the walk back to the hostel we just collapsed with a drink in the shade. I had a good chat with a young Argentinian girl who was on holiday from Buenos Aires. She was at college and spoke excellent English, when she found out we were from England she was over the moon as it is the country she dreams of visiting – snow and rain were a big draw for her, as are McFly ha ha!

Neither of us could face a great big meal again tea was a kebab from a takeaway type place and an ice cream!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Iguazu Falls ArgentinaIguazu Falls Argentina
Iguazu Falls Argentina

Back to the jungle


18th March 2013

Incredible Iguazu
I think there is even more water coming over than when we were there. I'm so glad the butterflies were still there but why only on the Brazilian side? Perhaps they don't speak portuguese!! Careful with your camera in Buenos Aires.
27th March 2013

Butterflies
I will stick to the Brazil side then....... lol xx

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1116s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb