Underwater in an overnight bus


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
February 11th 2009
Published: February 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bus station in the rainBus station in the rainBus station in the rain

The long distance busses are double deckers like these.
Nothing like being on the top of a double decker bus, in the front seats, as a wind and rain storms hits and the bus starts blowing around a bit! That´s where we were early this morning on the way between BA and Puerto Iguazu...After a few flying branches hit the front of the bus, we almost switched seats, but by then the worst was over.

The bus was good, but not as outstanding as some had described it. Maybe because we´ve taken many lux buses before, we are accustomed to them...this one had a slightly stinky WC beneath us, and since we couldn´t get the flat beds, it was hard to sleep (along with squeaky wipers, that were often drowned out by the pelting rain). We had the best seats for the views, but the rain was so heavy it was hard to see much.


The storm started in BA before we left yesterday and the downpour kept us in a cafe for a few hours...we got soaked returning to the hotel for our bags and getting a taxi to the bus terminal!

All night we went in and out of the storm that was apparently
People watching in the rainPeople watching in the rainPeople watching in the rain

We were stuck in a cafe in BA for a couple of hours before heading to the bus station, watching people negotiate the downpour.
following our route northwest. When we got to Iguazu, we were able to get part way to a hotel before the downpour and wind caught us..we were pinned down in small T-shirt factory/shop for an hour (the owner called around for hotels for us, and we bought a shirt for Gabriel there). We made it to a hotel nearby, took a nap, shower and had a barely OK dinner here (I now know I don´t like river fish and that the type of potatoes that Bill ordered are mostly grease) before walking around and coming to the internet place.

There were many tree farms and saw mills as we got closer to the Brazilian border. The trees were a mix of evergreens (mostly planted) and tropical trees (banana, mango, palms). The more modest homes were made of wood planks and some were raised. The soil is red, like in Kenya! It is very lush here, and very touristy...lots of dreadlocks and backpacks, along with older tourists.


We will visit the falls tomorrow if the weather improves...when the sun is out, there are clouds of yellow butterflies...we just saw one today...

I can´t get photos to load here...too slow...so check back later for more....


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Homes and red earthHomes and red earth
Homes and red earth

An example of some of the more basic local housing
Waiting for the rain to let up...and it only got worse!Waiting for the rain to let up...and it only got worse!
Waiting for the rain to let up...and it only got worse!

We had to retreat inside a shop as branches started falling!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb