Wet n wild!


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

With our coach connection delayed because the bus had broken down, we had a most fun time waiting in the bus station at 8 in the morning waiting for our replacement bus, which took a further 3 hours making our 20 hour coach journey even longer!!!
We finally arrive at our hostel in Puerto Iguazu and are delighted that its warm and to make matters even better we are greeted by a rather large, rather inviting swimming pool - told you we were living the dream over here!!!
Well after a couple of days adjusting to the sun, getting acquainted with the pool and making friends with the locals we muster up all our strength to get up early and visit Iguazu Falls!!!

We visit the Argentinian side fist (which was probably a mistake!) and they are just magnificent. Theres over 270 waterfalls and lots and lots of water!!! Apparently this is the best time of year to come and visit as the water level is at its highest! We arrive in the park and buy the compulsory plastic poncho - man do we look kool!!!! Then we get the little railway to the start of the falls. Its ram packed with South American tourists - i tell you they´re worse than the Chinese! They all have their little stickers on and give a huge cheer everytime they see someone from their group, to make matters worse their memories are all being filmed with a truly old skool video recorder - this thing is huge, not sure how the camera man will last the day!!!
So we make it to the start of the falls known as the ´Devils Throat´. We have to walk along a rather long bridge over the river and happen to walk past an old bridge that has been destroyed - with a sign next to it saying it had been destroyed by a flood - that really fills us with hope!!! On we trek, and as you get closer you hear the falls before you see them, its really loud. Then you feel the falls before you see them, with all the spray coming off them and then finally we see the falls - not before putting on our trendy plastic ponchos though! At the top you just see the river disappear and the water dropping down this open space, its really spectacular and really wet!!!! We get to the edge to have a look down but theres no chance of seeing the bottom, all that can be seen is masses and masses of white gushing water cascading down. Its from this point as well that you can see Brazil - its just across the water!

After getting soaked there we make it back to the train, where millions of butterflies are floating around. All over the park are hundreds of butterflies, they´re really pretty too.
Then we walk round the upper track and its just waterfall, after waterfall, after waterfall!!! The noise is still booming in our ears and even though they all look pretty similar they´re all really amazing! From the upper tracks we go down to the lower tracks and get to see the where the Devils Throat ends up, because its such a beautiful day the water and the sun mix together to create a couple of rainbows, which only adds to the effect. On we walk and get to a platform underneath one of the waterfalls and get soaked again!! Then its off to the meeting point to go on our boat trip under the falls! Outside are the most randomest creatures ever - they look a bit like racoons anda re all over the place scavanging for food. One takes a fancy to me - i mean who could refuse - and just stares me out as he wanders over to me. I quickly run out of the way as we know these little blighters can bite and well i don´t want him falling in love with me!!!
We get on our jeep and head out through the jungle, all very rambo style without the headbands though. Then we get to the piece de residence - a speed boat. We get kitted up - of course the fashion statements are out once more, who knew that plastic ponchos and big red life jackets were a killer look for me!!! So on the boat we sit and this time we get our own camera crew, so of course being the pro actors we are we wave to the camera!!! Then we take the boat down the river, which is quite cool as on our left hand side is Argentina and on our right is Brazil. We get closer and closer to the waterfalls and then the boat just gets right in there and takes us underneath them. Its so amazing i wet myself - not literally!!! We just get so drenched, not even the plastic ponchos could save us - they were after all only a fashin statement!!! Manage to keep my sunglasses on, although everythings so wet they need their own wind screen wipers!! We go under again and get the boat round the corner to more falls and go under them and by the time we disembark we look like drowned rats - another fab look for us!!! Don´t worry we treated ourselves to the dvd of our little adventure, so we can bore you all with that when we get the slideshows out!!!
Back at our hostel we are treated to a Brazilian show, with a couple of carnival dancers wowing the boys in their skimpy outfits and a drummer man with a lovely shiny silk shirt. Then we hit the town samba style.

Next morning its time to visit the Brazilian side of the falls. So we get a taxi, but because we´re in Argentina we have to go across the border and get our passports stamped - yay more passport stamps!! Then we cross the bridge which is another treat because half way on the bridge we stop and see where Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay meet - rather strange really! We get to the Brazilian side of the park and are loaded onto a bus to take us to the start point, from there its just a really long walk along the river seeing the falls. Its a shame we didn´t do this side first, as after yesterday its just not as impressive! But we get to see all the falls that we were standing in yesterday just from a drifferent country!!!
After that its back through the border, more passport stamps and the delightful task of bag packing once more, as tomorrow we are back across the border into Brazil - our last country of the trip, how scary is that!!!


Advertisement



22nd June 2007

Water
Water, watereverywhere and not a drop to drink, this experience sounds fabo, I guess no need for a shower on the night, just need to wet your insides with a few!!!!
23rd June 2007

Falls
This sounds very exciting and I'm sure its one of these adventures that you have to experience first hand ( even though it appears you get soaking wet ) to get the full benefit from. Look forward to reading about Brazil on your next blog asap I hope
23rd June 2007

No swim for me
No good for my namesake, I like the salt water, deep and dark good for a swim, no joking apart it all sounds terrific except for the getting wet bit, but I suppose no pain no gain. Have fun be safe good luck
24th June 2007

a right soaking
Well the water fall experience sounded fantastic and one you will certainly remember. Must have been spectacular to see the rainbows through the water. I can imagine the noise of the falls. Seems you really got a soaking but I suppose no option really and no doubt you took it in your stride now being the great pioneer and all time world traveller that you are. It seems you had much more liquid on the outside than on the inside this time round!! Really looking forward to seeing the film of this trip. Nice to see such wonderful sunshine again no doubt. (Weather here not good). Love J

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb