Stop 7: Posadas and San Ignacio


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Posadas
September 8th 2010
Published: September 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After an exciting but soggy start in Argentina we headed west to sleepy Posadas. A fairly small city in misiones named for the various catholic 'missions' that were housed in the area during the times of colonisation. 

Posadas, recommended in the guide as a  convenient base for travel to many of the ruins (see photos), like many Hispanic cities has an impressive main square complete with cathedral, coffee shops and gossiping old ladies. It also boasts a river front which looks out over the city of Encarnacion in Paraguay which made a nice way to while away a morning. 

Despite all this however, it would seem it isn't such a visited destination after all, and to the population of Posadas we were fascinating. 

Everywhere we went we were stared at and bombarded with strange looks, and when they realised Ellie spoke Spanish the looks turned into questions.... On more than a few occassions, just like a prized football card  in a primary school show and tell session, we were brandished with pride in front of colleagues and family members and invited to local schools. (Not entirely to Ellie's dismay this did not come to fruition!) 

So after 2 days in misiones, we left our status as local celebrities behind and headed down to Buenos Aires...phew! 


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Bed BusBed Bus
Bed Bus

Steve was ecstatic to discover the superior quality of Argentine night buses.


13th September 2010

Nice to here what Toucan do!
Lovely to hear from you both again - I told mum you hadn't been eaten (after all the head hunters live in Central America not Argentina!) She was beginning to worry even so! Nice to read what you Toucan do! - lovely photos, liked the Toucan - as you say it doesn't look real and not a Guiness in sight. Quite a beak on him - almost as if he borrowed it from his big brother .....and all without a Guiness in sight. Was he tame? Pleased to hear to natives are so friendly and love to talk to you! Did they invite you into their homes? .... or was it just the schools? How different is the Spanish spoken over there? Dad C We were impressed by Niagara falls when we went to Canada - yours look much more impressive and on more than one level. We didn'y go on a boat but we did walk behind the water and, yes you guessed, we go wet too!
14th September 2010

Have You Been Tango's Yet ?
Great to hear you're enjoying your S American travels. I loved your Iguassu photos, you're right they're even more breath-taking than the photos can show. Don't forget to go to a Tango show while you're in Argentina. Take care and best wishes for the rest of your trip.
15th September 2010

Tango fever!
Hi Pete, nice to hear from you and not to worry... we´ve gone tango mad in Buenos Aires! Will save details for our next blog though!
16th September 2010

Many Happy Returns
Happy Birthday to you; Happy Birthday to you; Happy Birthday dear Ste..eve; Happy Birthday to you!
16th September 2010

Photo
Steve you have the best photo face. Ever.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb