Vines and wines!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
March 25th 2015
Published: April 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After enjoying Valpo, we made our way over the Andes by bus and into Argentina for one last time! The bus ride was spectacular, following the twisting switch backs of the mountain road and passing by the highest peak outside the Himalayas, the icy volcanic summit of Mt Aconcagua at nearly 7000m. After the usual delays at border crossing we finally descended out of the mountains and into the valley that hosts Argentina's best wineries (bodegas).

Mendoza city is modern and liveable, we had a spacious park across the street from our accommodation and when feeling capable we enjoyed several runs in the mornings. But we weren't here for the city or its sights, we were here for the wine.

Bikes were rented and numerous bodegas visited and tastings had. I am happy to report that Sandra made it back without breaking her ankle as she did in New Zealand during the same activity, we were worried. The Malbec is the most internationally known Argentinian variety, however we were delighted at many of the wines on offer and several bottles made it on the bus for our next destination.

In a bizarre coincidence, we ran into a friend that we had met on the Torres trail. After 5 weeks and 2 different countries we literally bumped into her at one of the wineries and several enjoyable meals were had with her catching up. It is a small world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Sandra enjoying a tastingSandra enjoying a tasting
Sandra enjoying a tasting

Probably a little too much though!
Harvest in full swingHarvest in full swing
Harvest in full swing

Grapes about to realize their potential!
Now that's a BBQ!Now that's a BBQ!
Now that's a BBQ!

We enjoyed an amazing lunch here that consisted of 7 courses, predominantly meat dishes paired with the appropriate wine. The chef cooked all the meat on the open grill (pic) and I can honestly say it was out of this world, she made the best ribs I've ever had.
Irish Drugstore?Irish Drugstore?
Irish Drugstore?

We've all seen Irish pubs in our various travels, but we found an Irish drugstore. Who knew the Irish folk were also so well known for their pharmaceutical supplies!


18th April 2015

...
Love the Irish drug store!! Glad you made it through the vineyards in one piece.?

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb