Volcanoes.......


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
January 14th 2012
Published: January 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Spent the past four days following the Andes northwards as we head towards Mendoza. Spectacular mountains sprinkled with snow, the occasional waterfall and plenty of lakes. Some appearing turquoise whilst others opaque. Volcano ash pushed off the roads, sometimes over 2 metres high. We fly out of Mendoza to Salta which is further north on Sunday 15th. Trekked up Volcan Batea Mahuida which provided 360 deg views and 8 volcanos in Argentina and Chile. Another Volcan was conquered - Volcan Copahue reaching the rim and looking down to a bubbling lake, plenty of steam and the sweet aroma of sulphur. Splashed out and treated ourselves to massages, sulphur baths and hot mud baths. Forrest's of PEHUENIA trees, prehistoric and very slow growing at 1 cm per annum. Following Route 40 along the way......some of it paved, some of it rocky and dirt, and plenty of pot holes. Rain, cold, hot, and plenty of volcano ash ( I think I still have it in my ears and eyes). Free range horses, goats, sheep, bovines. Crazy Argentine drivers who do not observe any road rules. We love this country!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb