Argentina


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
June 2nd 2006
Published: June 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The WineryThe WineryThe Winery

Checking out our new field before we buy
After more hot thermal spas, rolling around in mud pools, drinking pisco sour with even more backpackers,locals and animals we thought it was time to hit the road again before this starts to get seriously dangerous. Where to????

Maradonna country to be exact.....................Si Senor ARRRRRRGGGENTTINNNAAAA. The place where the hand of God rests. Another luxury night bus was in order, this time with hot food and plenty of Vino tinto, we got a little uneasy while we were pelting along at 100 Kmh on a lonely dusty road when the drivers decided it would be a good idea to swap seats while driving. Apparently normal in this giant steak country. Crossing borders in south america is also a funny thing. A long process of queing, queing and queing inside buildings with huge 3 metre flags and tango music playing in the background. These official gentleman don´t like using the pen but prefer the sound of the legendary stamp.

After a short stay in the cold and wet St martin and another half a kilo of steak we got back on the road again on the trail to Mendoza. On the way we saw the best scenery we have seen
Winery 2Winery 2Winery 2

THe famous Wine tour
so far in Argentina. The scenery in Chile was also mind blowing with waterfalls, huge mountains but near mendoza the scenery was similar to what we saw back in California. dry desserts ,cacti everywhere with super sunsets....

Now on to the barbecues here. Personally we have never seen anything quite like it. Argentinians like to eat at around midnight and eat with as many friends they can find. Vino tinto is always present, on the weekends Fernot branco and cola also make an appearance. This is a drink that tastes more like medicine, but after a glass you kind of get used to it.

While in Mendoza we attended Spanish classes with the beautiful Carolina. We were also invited out in the evenings where the language was strictly spanish only. This was quite difficult and I used my collection of 20 or so words of vocabulary about a zillion times.

Bythe way we also acquired a dog 'Pocquito'. we went to the local supermarket Carrefour, picked up some dog food along with a lead.

A great dog when he doesn´t see bicycles that is. He has this thing about big wheels?

Oh yes, another bit
Mud bathMud bathMud bath

Last day in Chile
of interesting info is that near Mendoza the film 7 years in tibet was filmed. The film was shot in Argentina and not in Tibet due to political reasons.

Our next stop was to the mountains of Salta another 17 or so hours north. Salta was our destination for climbing and mountain biking among the awesome background. There is a fantastic vibe in the city which is even better due to the ´World Cup´. We quickly met up with some more people to enjoy the beginning of the tournament. In Salta we were also introduced to the drink Mate´which is an antioxidant tea that you drink in a wooden cup. Its very good for altitude sickness and is filled with tons of vitamins.

O.k I´m done with writing now, pick up a cold beer from the fridge and get back to your TV to watch some Fussball.

Now lets go North, North, North my friends and through to the BANDIT country of BOLIVIA!!!!!

Butch Cassidy and the sundance kid




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Mud 2Mud 2
Mud 2

More mud
The ParkThe Park
The Park

Walking our dog in Mendoza with our American expats
The Wine tourThe Wine tour
The Wine tour

More wine?
On the way to the parkOn the way to the park
On the way to the park

Going for an espresso
BarbecueBarbecue
Barbecue

Barbecue time
Barbecue 2Barbecue 2
Barbecue 2

Barbecue time mpart 2
Carolina1Carolina1
Carolina1

Our beautiful Spanish teacher in Mendoza
Getting ready for sunGetting ready for sun
Getting ready for sun

Trying to blend in
Nice viewNice view
Nice view

Finally at the top
A new dogA new dog
A new dog

Our new family
The sports barThe sports bar
The sports bar

Argentina game
cyclingcycling
cycling

Bike riding


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb