Montevideo to Mendoza


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
April 28th 2011
Published: April 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So we left Montevideo on a 10 hr bus to Rosario back in Argentina. The buses in South America are really good – airplane style meals on trays, almost full beds and films in English so although a long journey, we had a good sleep so was pretty good. We arrived in Rosario on Good Friday and found out that everything was closed for Easter and our hostel was nowhere near the centre of town and was nothing close to the online description so we were not happy Easter bunnies! With nothing to do in a strange town we did what all sensible people do....we had a long lunch and got stuck into the Argentinean wine. That took care of day 1 and we then booked a bus to Mendoza for the next evening. Luckily the weather the next day was hot so we chilled out in the sun by the River Parana (sounded dangerous so didn’t go swimming!), had some more wine and caught a 14hr bus this time to Mendoza.
Mendoza is our favourite place in South America thus far. Day 1 we chilled out and booked some activities. First up was a day wine tour which was interesting and we tried some really nice wines (apart from the organic one which tasted worse than Lambrini). After visiting 3 vineyards we had an all you can eat/drink lunch, followed by 5 more bottles of wine in town with a few people we met on the tour so it was hangovers all round the next morning when we got up bright and early to head white water rafting…
We headed into the base of the Andes for the rafting which was in a beautiful spot. Unfortunately/fortunately depending on your perspective, the water level was low so the rapids weren’t that huge but we still managed to nearly fall out a couple of times and I thought it was suitable scary and we both really enjoyed it, apart from getting soaked by the freezing cold water! In the afternoon we went on a 3 hr trek (prep for the Inca trail) and discovered half way round that an abseil was involved. Having done a couple in Africa, I was ok but Carrie was a bit nervous...but came on through and we got a few good photos! A great day and we were totally shattered buy the end of it!
The following day we headed on a bike tour of the vineyards around Mendoza. We met up with a group of English/American girls who we cycled round with and tried loads of wine and managed to successfully navigate around town! Another hangover the next morning!
So it is goodbye Mendoza but we now head north to Tucuman on another night bus…
Until the next time…



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb