It's all a blur


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
August 6th 2008
Published: August 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Having survived a mammoth 22 hour coach journey from Pt. Iguazu to Cordoba, I arrived at a nice little hostel near the centre of the city.
The people there that owned it were very welcoming( and best of all spoke good English - which makes life a whole lot easier). In fact so welcoming that we2 were invited to join them in one of their BBQ's that night ( I think they call it Empanadas there) - These BBQ's basically involve throwing the best part of a cow( in fact all parts of a cow) onto a BBQ, and then doing your absolute best not to leave anything uneaten, whilst drinking too much red wine.

After a couple of days in Cordoba ( as there wasn't a great deal to do there) I got yet another bus to Mendoza. There was only really one reason why I wanted to be here - to visit some vineyards!
So I went and found the office of a tour operator that was highly recommended to me, went in and was chatting away to the girl trying to organize the following day's Vineyard tour, and it turns out that we both went to the same school - seemed quite surreal being 7000miles from home!!

Anyway, back to the Vineyard tour. This was a great day out, that involved visiting four different vineyards, ranging from a small family run vineyard right through to a brand new multi-million pound estate.

We got to taste a large number of wines, and most of them were of stunning quality. Also, knowing about all the history of a wine,and the different methods used to produce each wine, before drinking is also part of what makes it a great day out.

At the third winery we had a five course dinner - with each course being accompanied by a different wine, that was mean't to compliment each course. I have to say,most of them worked - but not all. I think by this time we were all beginning to try and talk like 'wine ponces' as James may would say. Not good!!

Then it was onto the last vineyard of the day - which was a nice place, where we sat in a nice cozy type farmhouse, and sampled about 5 or 6 of their finest offerings - by this time I was beginning to feel a bit worse for wear!! , but they kept on plying us with more and more wine - so we just had to carry on drinking it!! - It was a tough day!!!

Anyway,next stop San Juan.





Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



6th August 2008

Vino Collapso
Excellent. Now I know why we sent you to Latin America - just so you could act as our buyer and bring all of that vino home. I'll take the stock from either photo Trev, you know I'm not that fussy!!!!! You missed your S American port of arrival from your World Tour list - Brathil and that short flight to Sao Paulo all of 2 months ago! Pity that girl went to the same school as you, but 20 years later eh Trev! Not long now and you'll be back with Les Miserables in sunny Blighty. Enjoy the final week Trev - see you soon!
7th August 2008

Good o`le wine
Well done Trevor! That is surviving a day of wine tasting! Fancy meeting a girl who went to the same school as you. You never know who you will meet or where! Take care. Enjoy your last week. Best wishes Brenda
7th August 2008

Magical Mystry Tour - now you see me, now you don`t
I`ll bet you thought when you saw these wine cellars "now that`s what I call a view" but it was all a hazy blur in the end. Did they do `3 for a tenner`? I`m mystified about the girl you met "Old school friend"?! As far as I am aware you went to an all boys school!unless she was from junior school, and that was a loooong time ago, perhaps you will enlighten me further, or maybe I`ll start thinking Trans Gender. Love Mumx
20th August 2008

Wine
Hello mate. In Boston so just spent a bit of time catching up on your blogs... sounds like you are having a great time! I can imagine you not enjoying getting plastered on wine very much! I like this bit... 'Also, knowing about all the history of a wine, and the different methods used to produce each wine, before drinking is also part of what makes it a great day out.' History: Grape. Preparation: Squash with a) feet, b) press... now drink!! Take care, Ciao, Bruno

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb