Very high and very flat (on your back)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Jujuy » Purmamarca
January 19th 2023
Published: January 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

So our time in the jungle had come to an end - I don’t think any of us were particularly sad to leave the heat and humidity. A really early wake up and trip to the airport and a half-empty flight, and before we knew it, we were in Salta.

An unnervingly simple car pick up process and we were on our way. Mercifully easy path to the freeway - lots of police stops where we apparently drew no interest - and a quick lunch empanada stop and we reached our destination - Purmamarca. Bum steer from google on the location of the hotel, but some bodgy Spanish from me and help from half the town and we found out abode for the next three nights.

We weren’t able to check in yet so we had a quick wander of the town - a complete change of pace and scenery from where we had been - much more reminiscent of our long ago travels in Peru and Bolivia. But the wary start and day’s travels were wearing us down and the high altitude sun was taking its toll…so the hotel pool beckoned. A quick (cold) splash around and dinner in town before a much needed bedtime.

We all enjoyed not waking to the alarm and a leisurely and friendly breakfast at the hotel before we headed into town to collect some lunch supplies before we were on our way. We were headed to Salinas Grandes - salt flat - said to be not as grand as those in Bolivia but we thought we’d give it a go and see what was on offer.

What we weren’t expecting was the absolutely spectacular drive on the way there - winding our way to 4000m+ through amazing scenery - all sorts of different colours of rock, dotted with huge cacti. Some of us queried the variety of minerals in the rock that were causing all the different colours. The same of us immediately regretted that pondering when a very lengthy ans excessively detailed answer was supplied. Note to self: hush yourself and enjoy the scenery.

Happened upon some llama grazing by the roadside - they must be hardy beasts as the surrounds are very unforgiving. Arrived at the salt flats and ‘joined the bandwagon’ of photo posers - some successes and some ‘room for improvement’, but most of us had fun working it out. Little Ted even joined in on the action - jumping, perspective shots and lots of sunburn…it’s all fun and games until you get taken out by your big sister!

Back again through the high mountain pass to Purmamarca. The afternoon sun was stunning so we took the opportunity to walk up to the ‘Seven colours’ lookout and admire the rock formation the town is famous for.

The pool beckoned again and we enjoyed a cool off before dinner (llama stew!) and bed.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb