The longest day ever


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Corrientes » Mercedes
February 9th 2008
Published: February 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Here we are in sunny Argentina after a rather eventful day getting across the border.

Began at 5.am. when we had to get up and leave the hotel in the pouring rain for a 6a.m. bus. I didn´t sleep well on account of feeling sick and was praying not to get a dose of Uruguay belly before a 3 hour bus ride. We promptly fell asleep on the bus, my stomach behaved itself, and arrived ok in Paysandu where we navgated a local bus to the border. The bus driver forgot to tell us where to get off so we had to backtrack at least a kilometre with all our stuff. Getting to the actual point to cross was complicated enough but it was handy on foot as we managed to by pass the huge line of cars waiting to get across. At one window we were in Uruaguay, the window next door Argentina again. That was the easy part. We then had to walk across a bridge which was honestly the longest bridge in the world with no buses or taxis on the other side to pick us up. We started walking the 7km to the nearest town and had done at least 3 when a wagon with a family pulled up and we clamboured into the back amongst eskies, bottles of water, chairs, tools and other paraphernalia. We were held up then by about 30 minutes when they had to get gas, but we didn´t mind one bit and couldn´t have imagined trying to walk all that way ourselves.

We got dropped in the plaza in Colon and went to the nearest cafe. After a full feed it was a taxi to the bus station to find out how on earth to get out of here again. We are now booked on a night bus to Mercedes, leaving at 9.30, arriving at 4a.m. to then get a connection to the wetlands area we are aiming for, and another few days chilling out! Feel like we deserve it after today! Just had a quick little walk down to the "beach" here but are suffering a bit from sunburn and got eaten by ants.

So just 4 more hours to kill.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb