Bahia Blanca to Ushuaia


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut
December 1st 2015
Published: December 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Travelling from Bahia Blanca to Caleta Olivia were transit days with initially lots of farms then crops then fairly barren looking land whîch had a few sheep and cattle, horses, rhea and guanacos.

Heading further south toward Santa Cruz there were large stretches of not much but straight road and wind so it was always very pleasing to see a gas station. The river looked beautiful at Corpen Aike which reminded me a bit of Cromwell. There was also some superb coastal riding and in great conditions too.

We had an easy entrance into Chile and spent the night in Porvenir which seemed to be a town with a lot of work happening. At 10.45pm it was still twilight and the light came again at 4.30am.

The next day we had another border crossing back into Argentina before heading out on our final stretch to our destination and goal, Ushuaia, Fin del Mundo. The ride was breathtaking with lakes, mountains, coast, sun, rain and everything in between. The sky seemed to have an ethereal appearance over the vast ocean and we skirted along the coast on gravel roads until we stopped to visit a world heritage site cemetery not far from Porvenir which was thought provoking.

Our next stop was a king penguin colony near the straights of Magellan. The penguins were really cool strutting about comically in their tuxedos with little yellow ties!

We rode on toward Ushuaia cutting through rain and wind and arriving at the gates to Ushuaia at 5.30pm in slightly overcast but reasonable weather with a feeling of nostalgia and awe and how far we'd come. We continued through the somewhat resort-like town, out the other side to the plaque marking the southernmost point (even though technically it's not) of South America. We took the obligatory photos there and went back to town to buy and consume some celebratory bebidas (mine was fizzy ?).



Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 23


Advertisement









Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb