Sea Lions, Penguins and Desert


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut » Valdes Peninsula
April 4th 2011
Published: April 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Every single day, 7 persons settle down in Puerto Madryn. Well, I can understand them, unemployment is low, tourism and industry growing and the weather great 😊 A 2-room apartment close to the beach is about 2000 pesos/month...maybe I should move to Puerto Madryn 😉 Puerto Madryn was founded by Welsh people and close small cities such as Gaiman are still very Welsh.
I did the trip to the Península Valdés today. It's an UNESCO World Heritage Site with sea lions, Magallan penguins, sea elephants, and the only place where orcas partly leave the sea in order to hunt penguins and sea lions. Unfortnately, we didn't see the orcas today, but young sea lions, some sea elephants and many cute penguins. The península is a semi-desert with many guanacos and ñandús as well as grey fox, peludos (armadillos), maras (big rodents), and many birds such as cormorants. I'm sorry I haven't any pictures of the penguins, I was too amazed by them to think about taking pics with my phone...but have a look at the sea lions (and watch my penguin movies the next time we meet). The first European habitants on the península were Spanish and about 1500 people were living here during the first two decades of the 20th century because of the salt extraction. Today, there are still about 500 habitants and 54 estancias.

Tomorrow cabalgata on the beach! 2 hours horse-riding with a great view, sand, sea, nice weather (it almost never rains here)...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



5th April 2011

It's alright...
...remember Klara Landau, William F. Hoyt... and listen to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fginS6uhw-8 Como estuvo la cabalgata? Muchos saludos y besitos.
6th April 2011

It's alright...
... and remember Klara Landau, William F. Hoyt... ... and listen to this music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fginS6uhw-8 ms&b&a

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb