Should i just move here, then you all could all visit me? ARGENTINA OR BUST!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
December 2nd 2005
Published: December 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Argentina Buenos AiresArgentina Buenos AiresArgentina Buenos Aires

Lanin Street, where an artist decided to paint his neighbor's houses. just for the heck of it.
OKAY, I'm not actually in Argentina. Im in Uruguay, in this sleepy little town in Colonia, but since i'm so behing, i'll just give a quick update on Argentina. I feel horrible i don´t have pictures. But I will put them all on when i get back.

So, we´re staying in Palermo Viejo, thanks to my friend jessica making me go to this party at 11p on a thursday night in brooklyn, where i met Luis. Luis rented us this apartment (you should rent from him, too! thanks luis, Boca just won a big game in Santiago). Palermo is like Thayer street in Providence or...the east village in NY without the rats and the dirt and the scary kids with the chains (i so wanted to be one of them a long time ago...but thats another story).

There are all these cute little shops and designers, although I´m not lost on the fact that this probably isn´t typical B.A. We´re trying to get a more realistic tour tomorrow.

We had a steak dinner on Monday night with wine and huge ensaladas )which have become my favorite food because theres so much meat and jamon y queso sandwhiches everywhere!).
Lanin StreetLanin StreetLanin Street

We took the alternative Buenos Aires, tour. And this was one of the places. I loved the tour! I love Marcello! (our tour guide ;)
I think we paid $50 for all 3. and it was the kind of place where argentine businessmen, with their dark hair and italian features come after business or something.

On tuesday we picked up my friend T at the airport because she was delayed a whole day. By the way, if someone tries to sell you an Aerolineaus Argentina airplane ticket, DONT BUY IT! The company went Bust on Monday! HAH. lucky for us, me gusto mucho Lan Chile.

We went to Recoleta cemetary, which is where rich important argentine people build these tombs that look like Upper West Side Apartments (bigger too) buildings for all their dead relatives. Poor Evita Peron, they barely let her in here because she wasn't born rich but then she got a very simple one and got stuck with her family for eternity. her husband is somewhere else. Okay, if I go, you really don't need to make a full size stone replica of me and put it my gravestone. a nice little picture will suffice.

Then we went to the Cultural Center where some people were gathering for a protest. Luis said Argentine´s love to protest (you probably saw
Where Tango Started!Where Tango Started!Where Tango Started!

Tango was a dance men originally danced with each other. I would like to have seen that.
their protest of Bush when he was here last week). And there´s this big movement to use stencils instead of graffiti to make political statements.

That night we had Brazillian! Shrimp ground with peanuts, and seafood stews with tomato, onions and cilantro and rice. Big glasses of fresh orange juice and wine. I don´t even remember the price. in true channon fashion. i took home my extra stew and had it for breakfast the next day.




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Boca!Boca!
Boca!

The home of the, aruguably, greatest soccer team in Argentina, and the biggest tourist trap in Buenos Aires. Beware the emanadas!
More Boca!More Boca!
More Boca!

more Boca.
And More BocaAnd More Boca
And More Boca

Boca was the original Italian settlement in BA. Very poor and colorful. Like many people i know.
Food near RecoletaFood near Recoleta
Food near Recoleta

Ham and Cheese@!
And they love protesting.And they love protesting.
And they love protesting.

These guys were gathering at the cultural center for a protest.
Stencil as Graffiti as protest.Stencil as Graffiti as protest.
Stencil as Graffiti as protest.

There are stencils everywhere. It's their way of protesting. This is a collection at the cultural center near Recolleta Cemetery.
Recolleta CemetaryRecolleta Cemetary
Recolleta Cemetary

They weren't even going to let Eva Peron in here, it's that exclusive.
Recolleta CemetaryRecolleta Cemetary
Recolleta Cemetary

These tombs are nicer than some apartments. There are 20 or 30 caskets in the bottom of these.
Taking care of the tombsTaking care of the tombs
Taking care of the tombs

It's up to the families to take care of their tombs. Some of them fell to dust inside.
Eating in Palermo.Eating in Palermo.
Eating in Palermo.

Eating was our favorite thing to do in Buenos Aires.
Eating in Palermo.Eating in Palermo.
Eating in Palermo.

People watching was our second favorite thing to do.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb