Buenos Dias, Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
December 7th 2005
Published: December 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Flagging a dead horseFlagging a dead horseFlagging a dead horse

Plaza de la Mayo; horse statue and Argentinian flag.
For those of you sitting at home holding a baby, it´s really rubbish here so don´t bother reading any further!

The sun was shining and we had somewhat high hopes for Buenos Aires; the guidebooks talked it up and showed some beautiful photos, but most of what we saw was typical city. There´s a lot of traffic, loads of buses and lorries spewing clouds of diesel fumes everywhere. However we did see some of what the guidebooks showed us, and it was good. (Mel: I saw a lot of potential for shopping).

After a day of exploring we felt hungry. Unfortunately, we haven´t quite worked out the new way of life yet though as Argentinians eat at 10pm and it was only 7pm. We proudly ordered our first meal (in Spanish) and watched as a huge number (500) empty school buses drove past blaring their horns in protest at something. The Argentines enjoy their protests apparently, so much so that no-one takes any notice..

We decided that the best course of action was to book tickets for Ushuaia, leaving the next day. However, we did feel guilty when we met Chris (Emma´s brother) who´s been here for a
The ObeliskThe ObeliskThe Obelisk

It´s a mere twenty two lanes of traffic and a dirty great obelisk. And a weird dog.
couple of weeks and loves it. He took us out and instantly showed us a really beautiful area, complete with proper restaurant, square, interesting buildings etc. He told us some of the best places to go and see, so we´ll explore properly next time we are here (May).

Our hostel was a beautiful place. (Mel: to begin with I wasn´t sure how well I would take to this backpacking lark. Seeing a cockroach on the stairs and pubes in the sink is probably not the worst I´m going to see though). It was called the "End of the World", obviously it wasn´t. Because that´s where we are now!

More to follow.......

Adios!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Don´t cry for me ArgentinaDon´t cry for me Argentina
Don´t cry for me Argentina

The truth is Eva Peron stood on that balcony. Right there. No, not Madonna, although she did too.


9th December 2005

Is that dog really walking?
9th December 2005

Far cry from home
Wow, It's sunny there and you're wearing t-shirts!! SO you are doing a whole lot better than us over here in Suwon. We're all wrapped up in the winter wollies!! We've had the first snow and I was like a three old child, that had first discovered the joys of snow!! Keep on trekking and making us jealous.
9th December 2005

Is that really a walking dog?
9th December 2005

Hot Argentinians!
But what I really want to know is - are the Argentinian guys all as hot as the ones I've met overseas?!! Priorities!!!
11th December 2005

Pubes in the sink and cockroaches, hooray for hostels but its all part of the fun..! Potential for shopping eh, that doesn't sound like you Mel :) Jim, in the picture of you near the balcony it looks like you have grown a goatee....hmmm, if you have can you not make it into a handlebar moustashe (sp?!) too!!

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb