Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
January 6th 2008
Published: January 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody!
Yesterday, we took a city tour of Buenos Aires and visited most of the sections. The city has a European
flair, but at the same time the people and culture are uniquely Argentine. You see everything from the homeless on benches to designer shops here. Overall, I would consider the goods here to be expensive. Few sales people speak English which causes me a problem since I only know the Spanish numbers up to 10. The people are friendly and clean. The women are more conservatively dressed than in many European cities. I have noticed the local women often wear their purse or backpack in front. We haven´t had any problems but have been warned to be careful. The museums and public buildings offer free admission. There are many beautiful parks with interesting statues of local heroes like Eva Peron and Gen.Jose San Martin. He is their favorite figure and is considered the George Washington of their country. Many of the buildings are of colonial architecture with very interesting doors. The doors are two stories tall and are made of brass, wood, or wrought iron. When we went to the United Nations Park, we saw a $6 million dollar stainless steel statue of a flower that opens during the day and closes at night. If you are outside, you are probably going to hear music here. We visited the capital stadium yesterday and quickly realized how much the natives adore soccer! It was located in a bohemian section with many artists displaying their work. Musicians are in the street and tango dancing demonstrations are done daily. The native drink is Yerba Mate, a herbal drink, that is sipped from a gourd with a metal straw. I haven´t tried one yet but have noticed that many people keep a thermos with them so they can make this drink.
The temperature has been in the 80´s but is suppose to go in the 90´s today. Everyday has been sunny and nice.
Take care,
Everette

Advertisement



15th January 2008

Yerba Mate!
Carley and I are huge yerba mate fans! It's a delicious tea popular in many South American countries. We've both become accustomed to enjoy it here as well. The gourd is fun to use to enjoy the drink, but it's fantastic without it.
17th January 2008

Yerba Mate
You are both braver than me. The drink looks like it has grass floating on top of it. Do you want me to try to buy some to bring home for you? MB, thanks for sending the names of good Chilean dishes. I hope to try several when we get to Santiago. I may have had eel yesterday in a pasta dish. We are going to try to go by your winery for a tour. E

Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb