An Eastern European Madrid


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
September 14th 2007
Published: September 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This morning we had a great breakfast at the Hotel BoBo.

Buenos Aires is a city of over 12 million people - it sprawls with large office buildings and apartment towers mile after mile. The architecture and feel of the city reminded us a lot of Madrid. Because nearly every building needs a fresh coat of paint, J likens it more to an Eastern European version of Madrid.

Today we took the subway down to Plaza de Mayo (say Masho - y is pronounced as sh here!). The Casa Rosada at one end of the square houses the Parliament (but you can't go inside). We also checked out the Cathedral which looks very modern on the outside, but just like any cathedral in Europe on the inside.

We ended up wandering to Manzana de las Luces, the site of the first university in the city. It was here that we were mobbed by a huge school group of 15 year olds from Cordoba! They all wanted to practice their English and asked us lots of questions about how we liked Argentina, what kind of music we like, etc. When we suggested taking a group photo, they started clapping
Tango PortraitTango PortraitTango Portrait

We felt quite accomplished after our hour and a half lesson!
and singing "Photo, photo, photo!" We later learned that this was from a cell phone commercial on TV here. It was great fun visiting with such enthusiastic students.

On the way back to the subway, we came across some type of protest. There were several news vans around so we approached a lady standing near one eating her lunch to ask what the story was. Turns out, she is Gabrielle, a "woman on the street" reporter for the C5N network here from 1-10 PM each day. She explained that the protesters were employees of the government accounting office protesting the firing of some of their collegues for blowing the whistle on the true government spending figures.

Tonight we decided we just had to take a tango lesson! The hotel set us up at L'Ideal from 9-10:30 PM. There were about 7 couples in our class and a male and female instructor. It was great fun; we learned some basic steps and got a nice little workout in the process. The dance hall then opened up to locals to come in and practice, there were some amazing dancers among them. By this time we were hungry and headed over
Candy Roasted NutsCandy Roasted NutsCandy Roasted Nuts

You can get these in the states too - they're kind of coated with a peanut brittle type substance.
to La Brigada for some Argentinian steaks! We arrived at 11:45 and had to wait for a table!! The food was excellent and the atmosphere made it fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Gabrielle, the NewscasterGabrielle, the Newscaster
Gabrielle, the Newscaster

The strange perspective is courtesy of her cameraman - he shouldn't quit his day job.
Subway EntranceSubway Entrance
Subway Entrance

The subway is ok - not particularly huge, but pretty useful.
Magazine StandMagazine Stand
Magazine Stand

Tons of these all around the city.
Catholic ChurchCatholic Church
Catholic Church

Interesting to note the use of silver rather than gold, since it is more naturally available here.
Tomb of a GeneralTomb of a General
Tomb of a General

General Jose de San Martin secured freedom for both Argentina and Chile.
Argentinan LuxenburgelisArgentinan Luxenburgelis
Argentinan Luxenburgelis

Merangue cookie with dulce de leche filling.
La BrigadaLa Brigada
La Brigada

Famous steak restaurant with furry menu.
Across the StreetAcross the Street
Across the Street

A great example of the potential here - with a little work this apartment and sunroom could be awesome!
Universal PlugUniversal Plug
Universal Plug

It's 220 only, but supports all sorts of plug types. Great idea for a hotel!


24th September 2007

Tomb of a General
Just for your information, the freedom of Argentina, Chile and Peru was secured by General Jose de San Martin, and the tomb in your picture is his tomb. Simon Bolivar secured freedom of Venezuela, Colombia and Ecuador, and hi is buried somewhere in Venezuela where he was born. Both of them were leading their armies at the same time against the spaniards, and they met each other just once in Guayaquil (Ecuador) in 1821.
25th September 2007

I am jealous
Wow, BA sure looks like a great place. I am truly envious of you guys. Dancing the tango ? J Sra. Luis would be disappointed that you don't remember any Spanish
25th September 2007

Good Information
Thank you for correcting us! We will change the post. It is a beautiful tomb.
25th September 2007

Srta. Luis
LOL - actually I speak pidgin spanish - It's amazing how much has come back to me, I can understand quite a bit. It's only been like 18 years!!! We're doing way better here than our three days in Madrid last year, but maybe it's because more people here speak English than in Madrid.
25th September 2007

La Casa Rosada
I imagine that you guys have already left, but had you taken any pictures of the presidential palace while there in BA ? and if you did, why didn't you post any ?
27th September 2007

Evita's Casa Rosada
I took some pictures, but it was cloudy and I wasn't really happy with them. I'll see about posting one in an upcoming post.

Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb