Catching up on Pictures and Such


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
February 5th 2007
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

TangueraTangueraTanguera

Our delicious drinks and the program for the show - I guess the nudity should have tipped us off on the explicity of the show!
This is another blog to make up for the lack of pictures on the last few entries I put in. Thankfully we were able to find a fast internet place here in B.A. (short for Buenos Aires)...

We have been enjoying ourselves (wait a minute, I think I write that EVERY time I put in a blog) here in the capital - our first day we spent wandering around an antiques market and an artensania fair. As we´ve decided to send a massive box home with some gifts and things we don´t need to carry around, we ended up spending a little more money that originally planned. I got some AMAZING crafts, all original and each with a unique story - I´m going to have troubles parting with them to give to family and friends... ooo, I mean, I bought absolutely NOTHING. Sorry guys!! hehe. The antiques market was incredible, Mom you would have been in your element there!!! There were about 3 blocks plus an entire square jam-packed with little stalls selling everything from coins, jewlery and weaponry, to clothes, linens, appliances and random goo-gawgs (as Gramps would say) of all sorts.
I was walking down the street and
Encore!!!Encore!!!Encore!!!

The only picture we have of the show - we weren´t allowed cameras... this is the encore after they danced 2 extra times for us! What a bang for our buck
saw a familiar face... did a double-take and then realized that it was a girl from Smithers who I had graduated highschool with, Alison Fuhr. What a small small world! We caught up for a little bit and then decided to meet up the next day (today) to go and see some horseraces... hopefully we find her there!

Last night we saw a live professional Tango show, Tanguero. WOWWWWW. What a sensual and emotional dance. It was more of a musical, but one with only 2 or 3 songs that had words. The rest of the story was expressed through the dancer´s movements. Yikes, we were entranced - the power that they have on the stage is incredible! It told a story of a immigrant woman who arrived on the docks of Buenos Aires, fell in love with a dock worker, but was sold to a madame, who in turn sold her to a pimp who made her dance for money and work as a prostitute. Throughout the story the dock worker and the pimp would have dancing duels and she would often be caught between the 2 of them - creating a tango trio that had me on the edge of my seat. Some of the more memorable scenes (they all were, but I can´t really describe the whooole play right now!) were the ones with the group dances where the pimp´s men manhandled the women... and then the dockhand´s friends took them, comforted them and then danced a pure and sweet and lively dance. Another was when the 2 lovers were finally able to find some time alone and pretty much made love on the stage - until the bad guys came and beat him up, tango style. There were other scenes where behind 3 translucent curtains there were men having their way with ´prostitute´ women, all visible and quite graphic - I didn´t know you could show that kind of stuff on a stage!
In the end our dockhand died at the hands of the pimp (a dramatic stab wound in repayment for killing the pimp´s favoured bodyguard), and the woman did a sad goodbye dance with his ´spirit´... I was on the verge of crying for our poor lovers!
What a beautiful night it was though and we are definitely going to see another show this coming week - can´t wait!

Now Im going
Bodega - Wine TourBodega - Wine TourBodega - Wine Tour

the ´tiny´ family winery we visited... I loved how it was so traditional and tried to stick to its roots
to add some pictures of the last few weeks that I wasn´t able to put up before - some of the winery tour, some of the Iguazú Falls and other random events. I´ll try and keep them in order so as not to confuse anyone!



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Flowers and GrapesFlowers and Grapes
Flowers and Grapes

the vines... only a few weeks away from being ready for harvest
Little Bitty BarrelLittle Bitty Barrel
Little Bitty Barrel

Lauren and her new best friend
Stacks and Stacks of Chocolate!Stacks and Stacks of Chocolate!
Stacks and Stacks of Chocolate!

Sooooo unfair - they paraded us around in front of vats of chocolate - and then strategically led us RIGHT into the gift shop... with just a little sample of chocolate to get us excited!
Ummm, wineUmmm, wine
Ummm, wine

Now that´s a whole lotta wine!
Blown out TireBlown out Tire
Blown out Tire

What kept us on the side of the road for a few hours... you can actually see the massive RIP around the rim. Sure am glad we had a few extras!
This side for people, THIS side for SnakesThis side for people, THIS side for Snakes
This side for people, THIS side for Snakes

Hmm, wouldn´t want to mess that one up! A sign at the Iguazú Falls... we still aren´t sure if it was a joke or not!
Steam and washed out pathwaysSteam and washed out pathways
Steam and washed out pathways

The rising mist from the falls in the distance, and the remains of the old walkway that washed out a few years ago. Sure made me feel safe!
WarningsWarnings
Warnings

Hmm, don´t feed the animals?? I think there are some people who don´t know how to read pictures!
EeeekEeeek
Eeeek

Were these the ones they weren´t supposed to feed!? These little buggers were crawling EVERYWHERE... including up people´s pant legs to try and get at food in their packs!
Baby and babiesBaby and babies
Baby and babies

I would not let my child that close to a hungry little animal with claws like that! I was afraid to get close to them ´cause I didn´t know when they would decided that my face would be a good snack!
WowWow
Wow

A picture is worth a thousand words!
Water and BoatWater and Boat
Water and Boat

The people who paid more to go to the bottom... little did they know they could just stand there and get soaking wet! They didn´t need to pay more for it!
Hmm, wonderful Hmm, wonderful
Hmm, wonderful

my attempt at being artistic
Swwwweaty!Swwwweaty!
Swwwweaty!

This is me showing off my amazing sweat marks from a day of climbing stairs and walking for miles - all in blasting sun and humidity like you wouldn´t believe!
From the top From the top
From the top

View of the cascading water. Do you now understand why we spent about 6 1/2 hours there?
Sunset in ArtigasSunset in Artigas
Sunset in Artigas

See, if we had never taken that random route, we would have never seen THIS!


6th February 2007

gratz!
great pictures Callie!
8th February 2007

room for snakes
uh, Cal ... tho the thought of snakes having their own pathway is intriguing, I think the sign was trying to tell you that people need to stay on the pathway in order to avoid the snakes . . . maybe? From your wise auntie.
9th February 2007

My darling Aunty
Ok, I dont often respond to posts on here, but I just HAD to so that people know I DONT realllllly think that snakes get their own path - it was the thought of it that I found amusing. Looking forward to having some great chats with you when I get back!!!!!

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb