Roaming around Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
November 10th 2019
Published: November 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Another full day in Buenos Aires. We are getting pretty good at navigating our way around using the subway system. It really is much better than traveling the city streets because of the volume of cars and buses whipping around.



Our first destination was the Plaza de Mayo. It is located at the center of Buenos Aires And is the main square. It is a commemoration of the May Revolution on 1810, the first steps towards Argentina's independence from Spain in 1816. Seats of Government are located around the Plaza. At the center of the Plaza if the May Pyramid which was constructed to commemorate independence from Spain.



We were able to see the changing of the guard at the Cabildo. The building was the seat of power during the time Argentina was colonized by Spain. Today you can view exhibits that include paintings, garments, jewelry, and other artifacts from the 18th century.



Moving around the Plaza we reached the Casa Rosada or the Pink House. It is the executive house and also the office of the Argentinian President. The building is a historical monument now and has in it a museum with artifacts and objects related to former presidents of Argentina.



From the Plaza de Mayo we walked to the Port de Madero. It is a district known today for its high rises, fine dining, and excellent parks. Located here is also the Puente de la Muher Bridge (Bridge of a Woman). It covers a major portion of the Rio de la Plata riverbank. It was originally designed to be a port but as the size of the cargo ships increased the port became obsolete. There are two floating museums there which were earlier ships. Along the waterfront we observed the locks of love placed along the fencing which we previously have seen in Amsterdam.



Needing a break by now we headed to the Cafe Tortoni which is the oldest cafe in Buenos Aires. It was inaugurated in 1858 by a French immigrant. It has served as a meeting place for famous artists and scholars since its opening. Our choices of cheesecake and hot apple pie and ice cream with hot tea and lemon were delicious!



Back on the subway we headed for the Mercado de Pulgas which is a very large flea market of antiques. The building was like an old warehouse filled with vendors selling antiques of every kind from furniture, clothing, signs, records, bicycles and so much more. It was an interesting site and a great way to end our travels for the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.374s; Tpl: 0.044s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb