A Day of Community Service


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
November 13th 2018
Published: November 13th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Blog Written by Team Leader Michelle Pavliv

Today was different. Rather than build for our Habitat partners, the local affiliate arranged for us to serve and engage the local community in different ways.

We began our day at a local ‘soup kitchen’. A neighborhood woman has taken it upon herself to provide lunches for children in the neighborhood who might not have a good meal otherwise. She spends her meager savings on preparing meals for upwards of 20 children each day. Her venue is basic at best. We provided the paint and labor to spruce up the common room in her facility. It is amazing what some fresh paint can do! While some were painting, other team members were serving lunch to the kids. The children ranging in age from 2 to 16, were polite and engaging. After lunch we worked together on making friendship bracelets. We ran out of yellow/blue and red/white threads in anticipation of the upcoming football final of Boca Juniors vs. Riverplate.

For our afternoon community activity we went to the local kindergarten for the ‘day of tradition’. Here our team members were able to see the presentation of regions prepared by each class and have the opportunity to play with many of the kids. We had a chance to meet some parents and teachers as well. We brought balls, books and stickers to share with the school. Our donations were received with gratitude.

This is my first Habitat trip where we had the opportunity to serve outside of building or renovating a home. In a country with over 30% poverty, safe, affordable decent housing is only one of many needs. Engaging with a community’s youngest residents, is always a highlight of my Global Village Trips. Within minutes of meeting, our differences evaporate, and we get to share in the joy that children so freely share.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb