Don't cry for me Argentina


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
January 31st 2017
Published: June 13th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We had set the alarm early to make sure we didn't waste the day. We enjoyed the nice hostel breakfast then set out at 10 am to the metro station as today we would be visiting Recoleta Cemetery which is famous for Evita's tomb.

The day was much cooler than Monday and it was overcast and spitting with rain. From the station it wasn't that far to walk and the cemetery is easy to spot as it is surrounded by a large wall. The cemetery is one of the top attractions in BA the line of tour buses parked certainly confirmed that, the cemetery is extensive so it didn't feel at all crowded. It was certainly the most impressive cemetery we had ever seen with many elaborate mausoleums and graves, some even resembling mini churches. We spent a couple of hours wondering around exploring nearly every passageway it was so lovely. Evita's tomb was tucked down one of the narrow passages and the queue was surprisingly very small. The tomb was not as elaborate as some of the tombs we had seen, it was black marble covered in flowers, it was very subtle.

Not far from the cemetery just
a few blocks is the old theater which is now a book shop. I had read about it in a blog that it was a must see so wanted to go check it out. It was quite impressive, the ceiling paintings were decorative , by climbing the stairs we were rewarded with views from the balconies.

We caught the metro back to San Telmo and walked down to the square where there happened to be a couple performing free Tango. We sat down at the open restaurant and enjoyed a cuppa and beer and enjoyed watching the performance, they dance for tips which was fine as they certainly deserved it.

In the evening JR had invited us to join him over at Palmero as he was meeting Mike another Travbuddy for a pub crawl but we politely declined as we wanted to try a well known restaurant in the area called Gran Parrilla Del Plato. It was the same restaurant the Travbuddy meetup was taking place on Thursday which we wouldn't be there for as we were flying to Ushuaia that day. The food was exceptional although a little on the expensive side but the servings were huge.
Between us we ate an abundance of meat, salad and a bottle of wine, it was a very enjoyable night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 23


Advertisement





















Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb