The Calm before the Storm


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Tandil
April 15th 2005
Published: April 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sunset in TandilSunset in TandilSunset in Tandil

After our horse ride we got to see the sunset!
Last weekend we went to Tandil with half the group. Tandil is about 5 hours south of Buenos Aires by bus, but still in the province of Buenos Aires. It lies right in the middle of the "sierras"(hills). The province of Buenos Aires is completely flat except for Tandil which has many hills.


Tandil is known for its moving rock that doesn't move anymore. The main attraction of Tandil was a rock that used to move when it was pushed. It was an enormous rock, but it fell in the early 1900s, so now people go to see the rock that used to move. Tandil is more of a place to go and relax and is where a lot of Argentines go for a quick outdoorsy vacation. It also seems like a lot of people in Buenos Aires have family from Tandil.


On Friday we arrived in Tandil and took a small hike up to the rock. Saturday morning we did repeling down a tall rock. It was kind of cool because I have never done that before. After that we took a horse ride and rode bikes on the trail. It was a nice ride, but
The rock that used to moveThe rock that used to moveThe rock that used to move

This is the rock that used to move. It was pushed from a higher rock which I was standing on when I took the picture.
it wasn't anything spectacularly beautiful. Saturday night we had a camp fire with the group. On Sunday we had an asado (like BBQ without the sauce). We then had a folk group come and play music for us. That was really nice to hear native music other than tango.


I have to say that the stars are amazing! Because we were far enough away from the city, we could see some beautiful stars. We were lucky enough that the sky was extremely clear. One of the things I thought was really cool is that all of the constilations are flipped here. For example, the constilation I know the best is Aryan's belt. Here he stands on his head instead of his feet. I was talking to my host mom about that and she said that they have different constilations here. I never realized that. Well, I have to get going! Thanks for all the comments. I have recieved all of them.





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

RepellingRepelling
Repelling

This is Liane and I before we went repelling.


17th April 2005

Hey!
Hey Jamie! You're pics are amazing! Glad to see that you're having so much time to travel around! :) I'm really jealous! Tell Liz I say hi! And i miss ya! Luv, Jess - Jess
25th April 2005

Beautiful Pictures
Thanks for keeping your journal and posting the pictures you are taking!! It is fun to keep up with your adventure!! - Aunt Terri

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb