Pilar and "The Treaty of Pilar"


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Pilar
November 5th 2006
Published: November 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The City FlagThe City FlagThe City Flag

Need I say more?
We were looking for somewhere different to spend Sunday so we thought why not give Pilar a go. Historically it's a very important place in Argentina so surely there must be something to see and do there......?

The "Enjoy Argentina" website tells us "The "Treaty of Pilar", signed by Governors Sarratea (Buenos Aires), Lopez (Santa Fe) and Ramirez (Entre Rios), which put an end to the civil war amongst these provinces, and where the central power in Buenos Aires agrees on the principles of national federalism, was signed in this historic town in 1820; in this way, the bases of what was later to be legislated on the constitution of 1853, were laid."

And, more encouragingly, "The great boost the municipality has given to the tourist and cultural offers in the past few years, in the City of Pilar and its neighbouring towns, has turned the zone into one of the great mini tourism classic destinations on weekends for the people of Buenos Aires."

So, off we went on the Number 60 bus from Plaza Italia. We jumped off at the Torres del Sol shopping centre and had a browse. Las Palmas over the Panamericana was much better and huge. We
A Cathedral - Shock HorrorA Cathedral - Shock HorrorA Cathedral - Shock Horror

Don't see many of those here, do you?!
even bought some things, unusual for us perennial window shoppers!!

After that, we took a local bus to Old Pilar, thanks to a young lady who didn't mind my Spanish and got us onto the right bus. It took us about 10 minutes to wander around (!) before we sat and had a beer on the plaza. Then we found the bus home. Exciting eh! Not really what we call a "great mini tourism classic destination". Still, a pleasant afternoon's shopping an hour or so out of town.

Just a shame we never found this as it sounded right up my street!!
Expo Museum of Weird Things
It displays a peculiar collection of old objects and testimonies of all kinds: motorcycles, cars, bicycles, audio sets, taxidermies, advertisings, curiosities, military objects left behind and old toys, amongst other things. In this place begins Castro Avenue, which further ahead becomes Provincial Route NÂș 28, along which you can cut the approximately five kilometres separating it from the outstanding Homage to Las Malvinas Monument. It is located on 1000 Rivadavia Street, and can be visited Mondays through Sundays from 9:00 to 21:00 hours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

La Familia PeronLa Familia Peron
La Familia Peron

In the main plaza you can see the Perons reunited! Notice how Evita is looking away from Juan. Lovers tiff?


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb