Lujan and the ubiquitous Virgin


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Luján
July 9th 2006
Published: July 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lujan

Another short trip from BA

The Virgin of LujanThe Virgin of LujanThe Virgin of Lujan

Hopefully she will bless this blog with plenty of visitors!
A couple of hours away from BA is the sleepy town of Lujan, famous for religious pilgrimages to see the "Virgin of Lujan" who is everywhere. Since visiting we have seen her everywhere we have been. Spooky as we never noticed her before!

The Basilica is well worth popping in to see, but it really is a town to visit to chill out rather than look for much excitement. On 9 July several thousand people gathered in the centre of town to celebrate Argentina's Independence Day. The National Folkloric Ballet entertained us for a while before a military band played a tune or two. Then opera singers from BA's Teatro Colon joined local childrens' choirs to sing the National Anthem, all 9 verses. That took over 20 minutes!!

If you really want to, a boat will take you on a 30 minute cruise on the river, but as we had already walked the several hundred yards it can go, we didn't bother. The choripan was pretty good though!

Most people find it hard to believe that I missed watching the World Cup Final to go on this trip. We did get home in time to see the Italians
The BasilicaThe BasilicaThe Basilica

Wow, and wasn't the weather kind to us! That blessed Virgin obviously likes us.
break French hearts on penalties, although we missed all the excitement of Zidane's headbut.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Gargoyle in progressGargoyle in progress
Gargoyle in progress

Ugly thing, and it's only half made. It was good to see how the restorations of the Basilica were being carried out.
One man's tat is another man's souvenirOne man's tat is another man's souvenir
One man's tat is another man's souvenir

Rows of stalls all sold the same religious souvenirs, and we bought......nothing! I was holding out for a Micky Mouse style watch, you know, th eone where his hands go round, but with the Virgin as the subject.
Beautiful CourtyardsBeautiful Courtyards
Beautiful Courtyards

The museum of colonisation had wonderful architecture. If you are a fan of history (and can read Spanish - lots of it) then this is the place for you!
Cinderella's Funeral Carriage?Cinderella's Funeral Carriage?
Cinderella's Funeral Carriage?

The transport museum had all sorts of stuff inside. The first plane to fly from Spain to Argentina, various trains, horse-drawn carriages and even a couple of stuffed horses!


Tot: 0.553s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 40; qc: 148; dbt: 0.3829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb