A Sunday socialising in La Plata


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » La Plata
July 11th 2016
Published: July 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Sunday is a day for meeting people in this part of the world, so this we did all day.

Meet and greet started with my daughter inviting some friends over for home cooked ravioli for lunch. Because there is a huge Italian influence many people cook their pasta from scratch which means making the dough, making the fillings, and making the sauce with real vegetables. I was drafted into ravioli making, using the little moulds that you fill and then press out. Hmmmmm not my forte but they looked ok and tasted fantastic.

Someone bought bread another wine and we had a lovely meal with 5 friends at the house.

Most Sundays there are markets on somewhere so after lunch we all took to bus to Plaza Malvinas to a huge market that is held monthly. Fresh food, pottery, clothing, art and craft, homewares, you name it is sold here. We bought olive oil, cheese and salami and looked around.

From there it was a short walk to a really good coffee place through Plaza Moreno and past the magnificent Neo Gothic cathedral, called The Cathedral of La Plata built in 1902. We walked through the middle of the avenues, as foot paths here are littered with dog poo, broken tiles and uneven surfaces. People are expected take responsibility for their own actions and if you fall or trip, its your fault not the councils. People are expected to pick up after their dogs but there are a large number of stray dogs around everywhere.

The coffee place was fairly empty when we went there around 3pm but by 5pm it was full with people out and about, having afternoon tea.

Had two wonderful coffees, not had a coffee in 2 days, so much needed revival, hoping I can sleep tonight though. So after enough enough coffee we had to have beer. Next door is a craft beer place, with beer being brewed there and then on the premises. You can choose from a range of beers, bar type of food, popular around the world.

And then home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



11th July 2016

Interesting comments.
Nice to see how the other half lives Rosemary...I loved the commentary and the photos fit the description very well...I will be looking forward to the continuing story of your visit to Argentina...

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb