Estudiantes La Plata - Campeones


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » La Plata
April 3rd 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

UFOUFOUFO

Super Stadium. Estadio Ciudad de La Plata.
I went out to La Plata with Joseph, an American friend of mine, to watch Argentina champions Estudiantes play football (that's soccer to some of you!) against Rosario Central. Almost a year ago Joseph and I had been to watch Independiente lose 3-0 to Estudiantes and Joseph decided then to support la pinchas. Their nickname, according to wiki, is short for pincharratas meaning rat stabbers in English!

Anyway, after a few hours looking around the city, we walked out to the new Estadio Ciudad de La Plata. It is on the very outskirts of town and we had to walk through those sorts of areas the guidebooks would probably always tell you to avoid walking through! The stadium looks like a UFO has landed on the edge of town and manifested itself into a football ground! There is quite a history behind this stadium too.

I may be mixing up fact and hearsay a bit here, but what the hell! A few years ago the mayor of La Plata thought it would be a mighty fine idea to have a new stadium hosting both Estudiantes and local rivals Gimnasia. Neither club was in favour of the proposal but the mayor decided to go ahead with the plan anyway. After hosting its inaugural game (Argentina v Uruguay in 2003) the stadium then lay empty for 2 years because neither side was prepared to move there. Estudiantes even lost the safety certificate at their own ground and, rather than play in the mayor's stadium, travelled to Buenos Aires to use the stadium belonging to Qulmes football club instead. Eventually both rivals saw sense and decided to move to this lovely new stadium.

Joseph decided to buy an Estudiantes replica shirt. The guy who sold it is actually a Gimnasia fan! He told us he would have his same pitch tomorrow when they play, but obviously selling their shirts. It seems that when Boca or River play there, he sells their stuff too!! Then we bought our tickets, although that wasn't completely straight forward either. The ticket office was closed, but a nearby portacabin was open for business. We had no idea where we were buying tickets for, and neither did anyone around us, so we paid our money and went for a choripan, as is the normal custom before an event!

Getting inside the stadium was the usual security nightmare. No bottles are allowed so we finished our drinks. Then our bags were searched. Mine was given the all clear but Joseph had to surrender a deodorant and a mouth freshener spray. Dangerous stuff that! But then there was a second check point. This time it was my turn to lose things. The insect repellent was necessary after the recent rains, but not allowed in. At least it was a can which was almost finished. Then they told me I couldn't take my bottle of sun cream in either. Both had been okayed at the first check! I was told to speak to the commissioner who was stood nearby. He suggested I hide the suncream under some loose concrete outside the stadium. I was going to take his advice, but as soon as he turned his back I put it back in my bag. Am I a hooligan or what!!!!

Inside the stadium you are hit by it's "wow factor". It really was incredible after some of the decrepit places I have watched games so far. Although suncream, deodorant and repellent are banned substances, it is okay to have red flares with you (and I don't mean 1970s
Rosario Central FansRosario Central FansRosario Central Fans

Must have been a long 6 hour drive back to Rosario after this defeat.
baggy trousers!) and dangerously sharp sticks disguised as flag poles.

For me, it was a chance to see La Brujita play. That's the nickname of Juan Sebastian Veron who used to ply his trade in England for both Manchester United and Chelsea. His Dad was an Estudiantes hero in the 1960s and nicknamed La Bruja so it was only fitting that his junior took the diminutive version of the name.

The atmosphere was incredible as the game approached. I have never known music to be played to get the crowd singing different songs. The sound system was exceedingly loud! The Rosario Central fans were in good voice too. The game itself was okay, but Estudiantes were clearly the better side throughout. With about a minute remaining of the first half their superiority was rewarded. The second half continued in the same vane and with just over 10 minutes left Joseph and I slipped out just before the gates were locked. The home fans are kept inside the ground to allow the visiting supporters time to get away first, quite the opposite of English policing styles! It's a shame we left because Estudiantes added two further goals, one just
La BrujitaLa BrujitaLa Brujita

Juan Sebastian Verrrrrrrrrrron.
as we had moved away from being able to see the pitch! Typical!!

So, great day, great stadium, no problems getting tickets, and surely a must for any football fan visiting Argentina. For me it was much better than watching Boca or River.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

7-07-0
7-0

Last year Estudiantes beat local rivals Gimnasia 7-0. They will celebrate that result for years to come, more than their championship in fact!


5th April 2007

campeones
Great entry Russ, the pictures are fantastic!
17th April 2007

I'm a little more than jealous that you got to go to a River/Boca game.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb