El ojo del Tigre


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Tigre
July 28th 2015
Published: July 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


For our last day in Buenos Aires, we spent it...not in Buenos Aires. We went out to El Tigre, which is the town where the ParanĂ¡ River meets the River Plate. The delta is impressive, with a bunch of inhabited islands and murky brown waters that are actually clean enough to swim in. The color comes from the silt carried downstream.

The island inhabitants are mostly disconnected and lead a very different lifestyle. Most of their houses look like those "mini-houses" you see online, with only a room or two of space and just very efficient use of what they have. Trash boats come around every few days to pick up whatever they've created, and supermarket boats make regular trips. Medical boats with a physical therapist, a dentist, and a general practitioner also make rounds, and apparently during the warmer seasons you can see ice cream boats going around. Of course, the residents also often have their own boats to use to go ashore when need be, but that doesn't negate that they may not have other services, like water, cable, internet, etc.

The weather cooperated and was also downright beautiful. Again, the best day we've had yet, so what a day to end it on. It was about 75o, sunny, and not too humid. If anything, that just made it all better.

The afternoon we spent wandering around the local market. Again, they love their street markets here. But something else that I've noticed is that they love Boston a lot in this area. I noticed it early on, but thought maybe it's just because I'm from Boston so I'm looking out for it. But I started keeping an eye out for other common cities and teams, like the NY Yankees hats. But they're just not as common. In fact, they're rare. But I see Boston stuff daily. Specifically, it's an occasional Red Sox hat, and a ton of Boston Celtics gear. Hats, shirts, shorts, everything. I don't know why, but the city seems to love the Celtics.

Anyway, after getting home, I went and somehow managed to get a haircut that wasn't accidentally a mohawk. I was somewhat proud because your everyday vernacular Spanish does not tend to cover words like "bangs." A short run later, and I came home to start packing. Tomorrow, it's up bright and early and off on a three-hour plane trip way down south!

NB: Internet is horrific. Photos will be uploaded when not so and I'll let you know.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb