How it's built


Advertisement
Published: July 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Back for a day to the dredge of classes! We went through more tenses and practice in the morning, but during our break we did get the chance to wish one of our own a happy birthday!

After classes and lunch (yes, more empanadas - the streak continues), we went on a short tour of Argentine architecture, where we got to see different buildings from their history. The Spanish, Italian, and French influences were especially prominent in parts of the city. As with any major city, there neighborhoods that have mansions, and they actually have words to differentiate them: mansions with a courtyard and a driveway that lead to the front door are "palacios," while mansions where the front door opens right to the street are "petite hotels." We also talked a bit about Juan de San Martín - basically Argentina's George Washington - and saw the sequoia tree given by Portland, OR to Buenos Aires. It's kinda short and sad; they're not really designed to thrive in such a warm and humid climate, I don't believe.

In one funny move, the Argentine people built a replica of Juan de San Martín's house where he lived and died to be used as a historical museum/society. But he was their hero, and they wanted his memory to be impressive...so they doubled the size of the replica, since his house was apparently too small.

After coming home and doing some more road trip planning (booking hotels in Las Vegas is ridiculous. So many choices at so many different prices), I had dinner and then got ready to go out for our classmate's birthday celebration. Once again, BA's nightlife puts Boston's to shame (not that that's a high bar), and may compete with New York's. An early night starts around 1 or 2, and if you're not out until at least 4 or 5, you're doing something wrong. According to a few, you didn't go out if you didn't see the sun rise. Certainly not a lifestyle I would be able to keep up...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb