Touring Buneos Aires (2)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
February 21st 2014
Published: February 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 We always thought that a 3 month trip would be filled with highs and lows and hopefully not too many lows but unfortunately we met with our first scarey experience today when some people tried to rob/mug us.

We had a another full day of walking, our B & B is surrounded by every shopping outlet brand name known to man & Ruth managed to pass them all without entry. We passed through the cosmopolitan Palermo area with lots of cafés and restaurants intending to reach the upmarket Recoleta area with the wealthiest streets in BA.

After feeling very safe yesterday we were almost robbed today, we were down near the zoo entrance taking a photo when I thought a bird had done its business all over me. I felt & saw a greenish streak hit the back of my leg. When Ruth checked my back the same green slime was all over the back of my backpack. An indigenous lady appeared & sympathising, offered to help clean it off with some water she had & started to lead us to a more secluded area. I can hear you all thinking "how stupid is that!"

As this kind lady asked me to take off my backpack Ruth's brain suddenly kicked into gear when she saw the lady's eyes look up & make contact with a male behind us. Ruth screamed out NO, grabbed me by the arm and we hot footed away! Turning around we saw the lady nonchalantly walking away with the male accomplice. Ruth had read about this dirty trick before leaving Aus (Google) but we very nearly fell into the trap!

On reflection over a strong coffee at the MALBA (museum of art) we felt flat but relieved we had beaten the bastards and also learnt a very good lesson! The afternoon was great visiting the Recoleta cemetery & basilica next door. Both outrageously ostentatious legacies for the nations rich & powerful with Evita being the most famous.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



2nd March 2014

Sounds like you had a lucky escape...

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb