Mullets and urine


Advertisement
Published: March 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The first bit of this title is a more frequent sight around Buenos Aires than the second, and the second part is actually more of a smell than a sight. Firstly the mullets. They're just everywhere! I've noticed the same in Spain. I'm struggling to think why it's such a popular hairstyle. My theory is that the hairdressers have no vision below horizontal and so just cut the top half of the hair. Maybe I'm just being culturally ignorant. The urine is just a minor thing we've noticed in the odd area here and there. We often just suddenly get snippets of wee-smell from time to time and I thought it was worth mentioning. I now realize perhaps it wasn't. Of course 99% of BA is urine-smell free so don't let this put you off.

Today we visited El Museo Nacional de Historia, a smallish museum set in an old mansion in the San Telmo district. This is a very nice area of BA with lots of cobbled, tree-lined roads and bars and cafes. A very trendy place. The museum focused on the formation and independence of Argentina and how it developed into the modern Argentinean Republic. Will got told off for leaning on the glass. We walked back along an enormous pedestrian market street with handmade crafts and general nick-nacks. We were followed by a group of drummers most of the way who added a bit of rhythm to the journey. They were pretty great, largely just because they weren't protesting or rallying or drumming for any particular political cause (a daily event on Avenida de Mayo it seems), just for people to enjoy. You definitely wouldn't get that in England.

Today we had our first steak. We went back to San Telmo in the evening to a Parilla called Desniveles. It was scorching. There was no air conditioning and we roasted for the first 20 minutes as we got used to the heat. The steak was definitely worth the feeling of being slowly cooked in an oven however, as it was reasonably priced, enormous and perfectly cooked.

Hopefully i'll get some photos up soon if I can work out how on these computers. They're a bit strange.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb