Bunoes Aires is Best


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
November 8th 2010
Published: November 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

And so my 17 day GAP Adventure tour from Rio to Buenos Aires came to it´s natural conclusion in er Buenos Aires. The ferry from Colonia was fast and smooth and we were soon booked into the unlikely backpacker venue of Hotel Carsson (four star) The huge dark glasses and headphone doorman was not that keen on our dumping backpacks and sloobbing it out in reception vibe, but polite as much as menacing.

Well what can I say BA is the real deal!! I much prefer it to Rio, it´s an amazing city, with a real European feel with plenty of South American spice. On our first night we went to a cultural centre and attended a drum band concert, it rocked! Then our local guide took us to her family home where we met the family and friends and got to go proper loco as it were. Our final official group night started off with a Tango lesson, I was pathetically inept at it but it´s all just larks. Then we had a posh dinner and a proper tango show, was a good mix of traditional and modern and very interactive. Yes Tango is a must do in BA, worth splurging the budget for. Even if like me you are not a nightclubber I´d say BA would have to be an exception, it´s a great nightlife, or more a morninglife as it goes on so late.

Taking a city tour is well worth it, don´t bother with a hostel run one, just rack up early to the booths at the official open top tour and hop on hop off to your hearts desire. We just stopped at Boca and enjoyed a stadium tour, worth it to see where Marradonna strutted his stuff. But make sure you explore a few streets deeper to see the coloured houses and the markets. Oh and the Italian restaurant next to the stadium does amzing meat feast over a woodfired stove.

And that is the ultimate highlight of Bunoes Aires, STEAK!!! lunch and dinner I would try various cuts, just have it with salad though as it gets a bit heavy on the system, but even if you are usually a veggie, eat the steak as it´s so good!

I stayed my extra nights in Hostel Suites Floridaon AV FLorida, a bed factory but in fairness it´s quirky decor and helpfull staff made it a good venue, just sad to a see a common area over domminated by a blaring TV and everyone sitting on their notebook PCS, c´mon people, speak to each other, it´s travel time, do that shit when you get home.

Still BA is a top city and will not dissapoint, for once Lonely Planet was right in it´s own ever so patronising type way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb