We´re Here!!!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
February 28th 2006
Published: March 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

It's A Long Way!!


San Telmo - Tango BuskersSan Telmo - Tango BuskersSan Telmo - Tango Buskers

I can't believe I forgot to buy their CD!!!
Buenos Dias!

Here we are, slap bang in the middle of Argentina. We survived the flights and the mayhem that is Buenos Aries International Airport. In reality, the flights weren´t that bad. I was expecting schnitzel and saurkraut all the way, but the Lufthansa kitchens have obviously diversified over the past few years. As for the airport, there´s huge irony in its international airport code of EZE. Take it from me, there is nothing "EZE" about it! We queued for over an hour in sweltering heat to get through customs, by which time our bags had walked off the travelator and were lying, abandoned, in the middle of the lobby. No matter and we grabbed a Radio Cab into town.

Buenos Aries is a vast sprawling place. The European influences are apparent, as are the more prosperous times. It´s clear things are getting better, but it´s obvious there´s a way to go yet. Nevertheless, it is very impressive place. Our hotel was as plush as we´d expected and in a superb location. We checked in and made an immediate beeline for San Telmo and the huge open air market held every Sunday. The atmosphere was intoxicating; and I´m not
San Telmo - Tango BuskersSan Telmo - Tango BuskersSan Telmo - Tango Buskers

I can't believe I forgot to buy their CD!!!
just referring to the inescapable scent of the parillas serving up the most incredible steaks on the planet! Every corner of every street offered a variety of local wares peddled by all kinds of colourful characters. Down one back alleyway, we came across a busking tango band. Their dramatic music depicts a scene only imaginable until further up the alley we see the dancers themselves. A crowd congregates and we join them to witness a display of tango mastery. Stunning.

After wandering around for a couple of hours, the jet lag sets in. Siesta!!

Later that evening we headed for a local charillo and I fulfill my quest for bife de chorizo (sirloin steak to you and me!). It was every but as good as I had imagined. I´ve completely failed my underhand goal of making a carnivore out of Anna though. If she can resist the lure of such a fine cut of the best beef on the planet, there really is little hope for her.

Monday was spent exploring the outer districts of Buenos Aires. Whilst struggling with a street map, we were accosted by a pleasant old gent who insisted on showing us the real Buenos Aires. It was an whirlwind, eye opening tour of the lesser visited sights. He told us he was always made to feel welcome by the people of London when he was over and felt it his duty to repay the favour .Fine by us! We learned a lot. After visiting Evita´s grave in Recoletta, we were surprised to learn how unpopular she is with a large percentage of Argentinans, even now.

So last night we travelled out to Palermo Vieja on the outskirts. A real funky little place that´s full of life. The cervezzas were flowing and we had a superb meal at Bar 6. We´re looking forward to our Buenos Aires swansong on our final night. There really is so much to see and do here.

An early start this morning saw us on a plane to Trelaw. We´re staying 3 nights down the road in Puerto Madryn on the Gulfo Nuevo. Picture postcard perfect vistas and lovely warm weather. Should be good!!






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb