We´re still alive


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
February 22nd 2006
Published: March 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello!
This one is for all you doubters out there who thought we´d never make it...all safe and well here in hot & sweaty Buenos Aires.

The BA flight was quite long, not aided by the slobbering character sleeping beside me on the plane (no, not Laura) and the 25 Argentinian teenagers returning from their degree course in the Finsbury Park School of Applied English (cash only, terms & conditions apply).

Got here without any hassle and safely checked in to the lovely Garden House Hostel in the San Telmo district of the city. Great place - not too many people staying, so no late night rowdy mobs to disturb my beauty sleep...kind of geared towards the travelling community in a nice kind of way. My only gripe is the lack of aircon (that we´ve been able to discern) and not having our own bathroom. Otherwise, it´s cheap, well located and staffed by quite friendly, knowledgeable staff...oh, and they have a telly showing Champions League matches live.

We´ve not done too much since arriving apart from a quick reccy into San Telmo yesterday for a meat-fuelled dinner...meat is a principle ingredient of the diet here (kind of like spuds in Ireland) and the price allows for some very unhealthy portions - dinner yesterday cost six quid for food (sorry, meat) and nice wine.

They say this place is like old Europe - I kind of agree - San Telmo is full of lovely wooden-panelled bars much like the old style coffee houses to be found in Vienna or maybe even in Lisbon. Lisbon, in fact, is the city I´d most compare this to, given what I´ve seen so far...laid back, cheap, hot and busy.



Anyone back home reading this will surely be wondering how I´m coping without (no, not work) the Blackberry...well, the patient is so far coping quite well and the prognosis on the whole is a positive one. In fact, I´ve only switched the mobile on twice in 24hrs in anticipation of messages...none, of course.

They have the Internet here, too, so I´ll cope.

¿Right - where did I put that glass of wine...?

Advertisement



28th February 2006

Glad to see the back of that Union Jack...
..good to see you're getting into the spirit of unemployment and sharing a toilet with strangers. Sounds just like something out of trainspotting. Have you remembered to sign on though...?
12th March 2006

Blimey, you've both aged a bit!!

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb