Caniggia, Batistuta and Maradona


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
January 5th 2007
Published: January 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Buenos Aires is amazing and really, really big. It seems that we have seen 10 cities and not just one within the last 2 days. San Telmo is lovely and a very good base for exploring this city by foot (we have done kilometers already!!). What is visble in all areas are the so called ´Las Villas', families searching through the rubbish for the whole night. As soon as the bags are put on the streets, they arrive with their makeshift vehicles (sometimes even a truck), open the bags with their bare hands and look for glass, plastic, cartons and food. This is a sort of profession and the people do not beg. On the other hand, Buenos Aires is very westernised and has a big commercial centre.
Today we checked out La Boca and the famous Bocanera stadium home of Boca Junior Football club. La boca is a poor and dangerous neighboor hood and the poverty is obvious and depressing. Francesco is convinced that this is the reason why Maradona has played 7 years in Napoli, because he felt at home. However, the stadium is amazing and well worth a visit for every football supporter. As you can see in the pics, we are both very excited to step on the pitch, see the dressing room etc.
We then took a stroll to the nearby La Boca done up for tourists with the coloured houses, tango etc. It is nice, but you only need to take a wrong turn and all the sweetness is gone. On our way back, we were stopped by police and advised not to walk back where we came from! Admittedly we didn´t feel to comfortable, but as we were following a tour on the map...
We are still not able to load our pictures and it´s getting frustrating! On a different subject, we have moved to our 3rd room as we have to change room on a daily basis. However, now we have a lovely room with a double bed for the last night here before we move on to the sea.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



7th January 2007

picture
I love the photo of the people standing in front of their apartments.
30th March 2010

FYI
its the bombanera

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb